TheZombieGame.com Forums
Another Hero Defeat - Printable Version

+- TheZombieGame.com Forums (http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Last Night on Earth (/Forum-Last-Night-on-Earth)
+--- Forum: LNoE General Discussion (/Forum-LNoE-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Another Hero Defeat (/Thread-Another-Hero-Defeat)

Another Hero Defeat - Popestar - 06-24-2018 11:34 PM

I don't know why, but every solo game I've done has ended with the heroes getting trounced. Here we go again!

I'm doing the web scenario "We've Got To Go Back", with the change that the board is set up just like any other board instead of how the scenario says to set it up. I did this more as a test to see what would happen, and it turned out pretty well even though the board wasn't set up per the actual scenario. The scenario is basically "Escape in the Truck", substituting bio-canisters for gasoline/keys, so it's all good.

On the first turn of the game, the zombies play "Bickering", forcing 2 heroes to lose their turn right off the bat. The game from there was a back-and-forth affair, with the heroes moving deftly around the board and then the zombies pulling some decent hits and so on. Unfortunately for the heroes, the first 3 buildings did not have either of the canisters they needed, and once they found one they ended up with the remaining 2 tokens being on opposite corners of the board. Of course, it turns out that the token they go for isn't the last one, so they have to cross the whole board to get the last token.

This is where things get a bit gruesome. The zombies had pulled Heavy Rain way early, so everyone gets the -1 penalty. As the zombies get into turn 10 (the sun tracker was on 10), the zombies pull Surprise Attack and Shamble. The hero who had the first canister kept rolling 1s on his movement die, so he ended up being all alone. And then he gets hit with Surprise Attack and a really unlucky Shamble roll, putting 3 zombies in his space after the zombies move. Yeah, he went down. Hard. You'd think that with a Crowbar and Get Back You Devils he would have had some chance. Nope. Thankfully he was on the center space, so when he died the bio-canister dropped on the truck.

Anyhow, the game gets down to turn 6, and the Zombies are just multiplying like rabbits. A pair of "There's Too Many" and another "Surprise Attack", and we've depleted the zombie pool of all 14 tokens. We're down to 2 heroes in the zombie turn, and after movement and fighting - thanks to Cornered - one of the heroes dies, dropping the remaining canister 1 space from the truck.

We're down to 1 hero with a meat cleaver and 14 zombies on the board, 10 of whom are within 1 space of the truck. He has no move that doesn't include going through a space with zombies - he's literally surrounded - but if he can get the canister and make it one more turn, the heroes win. The situation is bleak, and I called that he would lose badly if he tried for the canister. And, true to form, 1 zombie die vs. 2 hero dice = zombies winning.

RE: Another Hero Defeat - mqstout - 06-25-2018 12:55 PM

Do you play the heroes too conservatively knowing which zombie cards are out there?

RE: Another Hero Defeat - ATOEtalGeek - 06-25-2018 01:54 PM

Are you using any particular system for the AI? How are you resolving which zombie cards to play and when? How are you resolving zombie movement? zombie decision making?

RE: Another Hero Defeat - Popestar - 06-25-2018 04:01 PM

I am trying to play things as autonomously as possible with both sides. As an example: Sheriff Anderson was in the hangar near one of the doors, and there was a zombie one space away from him near the other door. The zombies had Locked Door and Cornered, so I knew that as soon as Anderson was about to move they would have played Locked Door. And then on their turn, they considered playing Cornered, but I decided against that due to the mass of zombies growing near two other heroes. So I tried to play that situation as correct as possible for the zombies.

As far as Anderson goes, he absolutely used the baseball bat in his hand to help him defeat the zombie in the hangar, and then on his next move he left the hangar and headed south towards the hospital because there were no zombies in that area. So again, I'm trying to play it how it would have gone had I not been playing solo.

Now, with that said, it's entirely possible that I'm being too hesitant with playing cards or even searching for items, hoping that the heroes will just win with luck. Or possibly because I know what cards the zombies have in their hand. I'm honestly trying to be as autonomous as possible, even going to so far as to roll dice to determine which pits spawn new zombies. Could also just be a rash of bad luck for the heroes.

RE: Another Hero Defeat - Achtung Panzer - 06-27-2018 09:53 PM

In terms of solo play and game results - I'm exactly the same!