Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Painted Ash miniature from Evil Dead (look alike)
04-03-2011, 02:43 PM
RE: Painted Oakley by Hasslefree (Hmm looks a little bit like Ash from Evil Dead...)
The glue I prefer using is Zap-a-gap. It's basically a superglue.

In my experience (though Trev may have different advice, and he's better than I), I'd glue him first thing, then primer, then paint. If you wish to glue terrain on, you can do that after the painting is complete.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2011, 12:43 AM
RE: Painted Oakley by Hasslefree (Hmm looks a little bit like Ash from Evil Dead...)
Hi Vikinglad

Yeah Gav's got it.

1) how do I permanently attach him to the base?
You can use this Zap-a-gap stuff. I'm sure if Gav says it works go for it. I use super glue.

2) When do I do it?
After you've trimmed the model of flash/mould lines.
Use glue on both edges of the metal tag (under his feet) and under his feet.
Undercoat/primer the figure.
Get painting.
Paint the base or follow my basing guide to make a realistic looking base.
Varnish/protect.
Grab a beer you've earned it and use Ash in your next gameWatchmen02

3) how and with what do I attach his chainsaw arm and shotty holster?
The holster can be superglued straight to his back.
The chainsaw is a different matter. If your model is going to be stored in a cabinet and handled carefully you can super glue that too.

But The best way to secure the model is to use a very small drill called a pin-vice. I use a games workshop one.
Drill two 1mm holes in the end of the chainsaw and into the stump of his arm. The holes don't have to be any deeper than 2-3mm on this figure. Now get a paper clip. Snip off a small piece that should fit into your newly drilled holes. Check that it's the right length before glueing it into his stump.
Now put glue into the hole in the chainsaw and the stump of his arm (the join). and fit it over the metal paper clip peg. There shouldn't be a noticable gap with this figure.

If you want me to do a guide about pinning models together I can do...

Good choice of figure too!

Hope this helped
04-04-2011, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2011 12:20 PM by vikinglad.)
Thanks guys. I have superglue here, I will try that. I will probably also superglue the chainsaw on this one too. If you do the drilling method, can you do all of the hands and make them interchangeable? Like, glue paperclips in the hands and don't glue them in the arm side. Not too great for this fig, but maybe for others. I can't imagine playing Ash w/o the chainsaw hand. Maybe for an Evil Dead 1 scenario, I guess.

Samurai, that would be a pretty interesting guide. Maybe cover everything from opening the package until you are ready to primer, then your other guide would kick in. I would read it.
04-04-2011, 04:44 PM
(04-04-2011 12:16 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  can you do all of the hands and make them interchangeable?

In a word no. Unless you used something like blu-tak which would probably pull the paint off after a while, and look a right mess too!

Gluing the chainsaw will be fine. I just pin things for added strenth. (Hehe he's now got steel Radius and ulna bones!)

I will do you a pinning guide even if it's only you that reads it! Give me a few days while I go saw someone's arm offZombie13
04-05-2011, 07:36 AM
(04-04-2011 04:44 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I will do you a pinning guide even if it's only you that reads it! Give me a few days while I go saw someone's arm offZombie13

Thanks; your devotion to your readers is the source of your fame and fortune. Glad I could provide you with an excuse to go on a dismemberment outing. Insane21
04-07-2011, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2011 11:03 PM by willco.)
(03-04-2011 01:05 AM)D153453D Wrote:  Is the gloss necessary to seal it? I like the first picture without it the most. Looks great liek everyone said.

Gloss varnish protects loads better than anything else, but it is, as you say, glossy.

A good trick is to *knock it back down* with some Testor's Dullcote, then brush some 'Ard Cote (gloss varnish) back onto the parts you want to be glossy or shiny again, like an eye, say, that dangles from its socket. Or the teeth of some beasty. Or the stuff coming out of that TOXIC barrel.

This way you get the protection of the gloss varnish without all the glossiness you might not want.

w.