Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: Do you paint your FFP game figures?
Yes. One day I will paint them all. Waghhh haa haa!!
No I can't be bothered, afford it, haven't the time, I don't feel the need.
Maybe but I don't know where to start.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Have you painted your figures?
08-17-2011, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2011 07:56 PM by munkymuddface.)
RE: Have you painted your figures?
(08-17-2011 07:01 PM)Esturk Wrote:  Very nice! I'd imagine you were probably a beast back in the day! What were the other two minis?

Thanks! I actually did not do a ton of painting back in the day. I enjoyed it, but did not have the monies to get all the supplies, so only painted a few models.
The other two that I completed before starting on Stag Lord were a warforged and dragonborn. No pics at the moment.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Munky and Esturk you are turning out some good work and it was great to see the progressive pics of your painting as it raised in standard.

Thank you for the kind words about the guides Munky. I'm glad you found them helpful.

Keep at it onemangang in no time after some experimenting you'll be turning out some good looking figures.
08-18-2011, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2011 05:28 PM by Esturk.)
(08-17-2011 07:13 PM)Onemangang Wrote:  Esturk and Munky.... respect to both of you. I try to do some now and than but it can't stand in the shadow of your pieces. Glad only my children see my work (and ... ey, I am their dad, so ,,,, dad is the best...)

Hah! Well, firstly thank you. Secondly, No matter how bad you think your minis are painted i'm sure you're not that bad. If you don't think your minis are up to snuff, just remember there's always going to be people out there who don't paint their minis at all, and a painted mini is more impressive than a lump of metal on the table any day.

I know how it is to look at a mini and ask yourself "Why don't my minis look that good?" because I still do it all the time. Best bet to get yours that way? Looking at minis that impress you and seeing what they did 'right' that impresses you. Without knowing exactly where you're at it'll be hard to give you proper advice, but here's some basics I feel apply all around the board.

Read articles. Trev has some awesome ones here, lots of little tips and tricks. Also look online for painting articles of what you're specifically about to paint. Cloth, fur, flesh, gems, bottles, metal armor, etc. paint very differently, requiring different techniques. Look these up before you sit down to paint and maybe keep a reference or two saved on your computer. A lot of people do things different ways so maybe read a few and pick and choose the parts you like best and make your own.

Oh, and of course let's not forget basing. An impressive base will always make a mini look better. Pay attention to the details people do with their basing. Adding a few spent shell casings or a skull or something simple like that can make your mini stand out, usually save more elaborate bases for more elaborate minis. A general rule warhammer modellers I come across like to use is if the mini is of significance to the game(essentially a special unit like a squad leader or solo mini) they tend to be the ones with more elaborate basing.

Other than that, practice, practice, practice. If you have a ton of 'enemy' minis from a box game (Like Descent, Hero Quest or the like,) I'd practice on them first. Save heroic minis or the highly detailed ones that you want to use a lot for when you have the technique down well enough to know you'll be satisfied with the end result.

Should you wish to get to know me better I suggest you read my bio as it is absolutely true.
08-18-2011, 10:00 PM
I haven't painted any figures ever but am interested in doing so. does anyone have any suggestions on some good minis to start with.
08-19-2011, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2011 12:06 AM by vikinglad.)
(08-18-2011 10:00 PM)abomination Wrote:  I haven't painted any figures ever but am interested in doing so. does anyone have any suggestions on some good minis to start with.

You should totally try it! If you are interested, I bet you would like it. You may end up being much better than you imagined. I think it adds a whole other dimension to boardgame enjoyment, and I wouldn't have even considered painting my LNOE minis if it weren;t for this site.

When I was just learning, I used the cheap plastic army guys to practice on. Another good idea, if you need paint anyway, may be to buy a Citadel paint set that comes with figures (like a warhammer paint set). I think the price is comparable to buying the individual pots of paint, and you will get a set of free minis to practice on. I have considered doing this so I can switch over to acrylics from the enamel paints I use now.

Make sure to check out SamuraiTrev's Articles to avoid easy mistakes (not cleaning the minis first, not primering, etc.) and get some great advice on more advanced techniques as well.
08-19-2011, 12:47 AM
(08-19-2011 12:03 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  
(08-18-2011 10:00 PM)abomination Wrote:  I haven't painted any figures ever but am interested in doing so. does anyone have any suggestions on some good minis to start with.

You should totally try it! If you are interested, I bet you would like it. You may end up being much better than you imagined. I think it adds a whole other dimension to boardgame enjoyment, and I wouldn't have even considered painting my LNOE minis if it weren;t for this site.

When I was just learning, I used the cheap plastic army guys to practice on. Another good idea, if you need paint anyway, may be to buy a Citadel paint set that comes with figures (like a warhammer paint set). I think the price is comparable to buying the individual pots of paint, and you will get a set of free minis to practice on. I have considered doing this so I can switch over to acrylics from the enamel paints I use now.

Make sure to check out SamuraiTrev's Articles to avoid easy mistakes (not cleaning the minis first, not primering, etc.) and get some great advice on more advanced techniques as well.

thanks for the info, i think I even have a bucket full of army men stahed in my bsaement from childhood.
08-19-2011, 12:48 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2011 12:49 AM by Esturk.)
going with vikinglad's advice would be your best bet, but citadel paints are pretty expensive on their own.

There's some pretty good and cheap reaper miniature painting sets out there with themes(flesh tones, armor, cloth) which come with minis that might be worth price comparing.

Should you wish to get to know me better I suggest you read my bio as it is absolutely true.
08-19-2011, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2011 06:31 PM by vikinglad.)
Ya, I have no brand loyalty really. i use Testors enamels right now, cause they are cheap and that is what I started with back in the day. I would say starting with acrylic paints would probably be better. Any set with a good mix of colors and some minis that look cool to you would be a good start. Maybe post some pics if you paint some up.
08-19-2011, 09:43 PM
I've actually never known anyone who uses enamels for minis other than on models. Do they work well? Whenever I think of testors I think of high gloss... I imagine they have a flat range though, yeah?

08-20-2011, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2011 01:09 AM by vikinglad.)
(08-19-2011 09:43 PM)Esturk Wrote:  I've actually never known anyone who uses enamels for minis other than on models. Do they work well? Whenever I think of testors I think of high gloss... I imagine they have a flat range though, yeah?

Right, I have come to feel rather alone in this. I started using them because I started off with vehicle models, so that was the paint I had on hand. Most of it is gloss; you have to get the ones with "matte" or "flat" in their name. My Billy has shiny jeans cuz I accidentally used a gloss blue. The biggest hassle is having to use thinner instead of water. I just got a new type cuz I think my old thinner was making my plastic minis a bit sticky (worked fine on metal).

The main reason I stick with enamel is that I am poor and don't want to replace all my paints at once. If I were starting from scratch, I would do so with acrylics. They are much more widely used, and there are more resources for how to use them. They seem safer for plastic minis, too.