Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stories of the Undead Inferno (Unofficial) Expansion FAQ!
02-08-2011, 05:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2011 06:45 AM by D153453D.)
RE: Stories of the Undead Inferno Expansion FAQ!
iamadoorknob has posted a few comments and id like to address them here if any of you have the same problems.

First of all, thanks for taking the time to try something new, and post such a well thought out lengthy review. I'm glad to see you enjoyed some of it. Let's get to it!

First of all, the author made no explanation of what to do if a zombie is diagonal to a hero in a second story space, as zombies can't move diagonally into second story spaces and can't move anywhere BUT diagonally due to zombie hunger.

This is stated on Page 1 under Zombie Movement with a diagram as well as a special box of text describing what to do. It reads," A failed climb still allows Zombie movement, but must move keeping in range of Zombie Hunger." The diagram that goes along with it shows that the zombie still may move to an adjacent space within Zombie Hunger. This would obviously apply to diagonals as well.

The fire is a cool concept likely taken from Invasion from Outer Space (Flying Frog Productions LLC) but it is not explained very well.

Strangely untrue. I don't own IFoS and at the time I don't believe the rules were even available on their website. It was actually brought to my attention by somebody else during the second week of working on this. They do operate fairly similarly, but this was purely by chance.

The author fails to explain what the intensity of a fire is once it starts/spreads, which would make all the difference in this scenario. It is also not very clear which fires spread and which ones die out, as it is explained twice and is completely different (and still ambiguous) in each explanation.

The Intensity is also explained on Page 4 under basic Fire and it reads, "Always place the markers facing the correct orientation with the middle board. The numbers indicate the Fire Intensity, with 4 being the highest." So whenever it spreads, you place a new marker, and whenever you place a new marker it is always placed orientated like that.

I'm not sure what you mean by that but it is also described as such: "On a roll of 1-4 a new Fire Marker is placed in any legal space corresponding to the number." That explains the direction, and as for a group of fires it is also explained as such:Fires only connect orthogonally. Fire A must be rolled for separately then Fire B. The highest Fire Intensity is ALWAYS rolled for. Fire B has a ties and both Markers are rolled for spreading." This includes a diagram with it so I'm not sure what you mean.

The scenario is not very well balanced either. If the card "Heavy Rain" comes up, the zombies will have a difficult time accomplishing anything.

Perfectly fine. I realize not everyone will enjoy it, especially if they don't understand the rules to the fire (whether it be my lack of explanation or user error). The heavy Rain Card does change the game much. Instead of burning to death on a 6 the rain puts them out. Either way the Zombie is unable to spread fire, but at least you still have the zombie out and attacking. If anything that makes it better for the zombies. Rain only effects Fire Markers which are outside. To burn down buildings Fire Markers are inside of buildings. Again, it really only effects The Forest catching on fire.

If not, they will just run around putting out fires for 19 turns, as there is no other goal the heroes can accomplish in the mean time. That means there are 19 rounds of fires spreading and heroes putting them out, without time for much else. This may be fun for some, but not for us.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I played it the other day and was able to slaughter the zombies before they could spread the fire. If you have no means of killing them then your only choice is to extinguish the fires.

Thanks again iamadoorknob. I'd like to see some other comments to see if other have the same thoughts. I realize that I understand things easier because I made them up. As a result, they may haven't been necessarily translated accordingly when typing them out. There was a thin line I was walking while writing this. I was concerned about having it too lengthy and intimidating, or keep it smaller and compact. This may have lead to some communication errors. Either way, I appreciate the honest response.

I was also thinking about splitting them into 2 separate packages, and ultimately decided to include them. It's perfectly fine if you only choose to incorporate the elements you like.

I would like you to post some of the particular issues you had because that would benefit me as well.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing the boards you had done to see how well they turned out.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stories of the Undead Inferno Expansion FAQ! - D153453D - 02-08-2011 05:47 AM