Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stories of the Undead Inferno (Unofficial) Expansion FAQ!
03-15-2011, 12:30 AM
RE: Stories of the Undead Inferno (Unofficial) Expansion FAQ!
(03-14-2011 06:37 AM)dalembraun Wrote:  I probably should change my name to "dumberthanadoorknob", because I'm looking for more clarification on Zombie Hunger and the Red Wall.

Case 1:
XX|
XH|a
Xb|Z
Zombie wants to climb wall to "b" and rolls a 2. He fails. According to your rules, the zombie can move to ANY of the 8 adjacent spaces, as long as he doesn't move out of range of ZH... so, does that mean the zombie can now move diagonally on top of Human (climbing, even though it failed a climb roll)? Or can it only move up to "a"?

Case 2:
Xa|b
XH|Z
Xc|d
Zombie wants to climb wall to get Human but rolls a 2. He fails. According to your rules, the zombie can move to ANY of the 8 adjacent spaces, as long as he doesn't move out of range of ZH... so, does that mean the zombie can now move diagonally to "a" or "c" (by climbing, even though it failed a climb roll), or can it only move to "b" or "d"? Can the zombie relocate to any of the X positions as part of the failed-climb movement, since those spaces are one of the 8 ZH-applicable spaces for the human?

OK, enough of the "beating my head against the red wall" questions...

Fire questions:
1. If all fires start at intensity 4, why is there a call-out in the rules regarding gasoline fires starting at intensity 4?
2. If a hero doesn't have a fire item, but throws the gasoline or dynamite at a burning zombie, does the gas or dynamite automatically light?
3. How about throwing THROUGH a square that contains fire or a burning zombie? If Hero throws dynamite through a fire marker, aiming for a zombie on the other side of the fire, is it an automatic lighting of the TNT?
4. Your rules say "after moving a burning zombie rolls a D6, and burns up on a 6", leaving a fire marker behind. Does this happen to ALL burning zombies (as in "after the zombie movement phase"), or only to individual burning zombies that actually MOVE on their turn? The former would imply a secondary fire check, while the latter implies that if you want a zombie to set a fire, it has to be moving, not holding still.

Betsy question:
1. Does Betsy start on the board in the yard, or only appear when her card is drawn AND the hero decides to place her there in the yard?

Speaking of Starting:
1. In the Undead Inferno scenario, zombies spawn ONLY from the Manor house? What if an X is discovered in the rubble or wooded debris? Are the regular Xs ignored for the UI scenario, but used when combining the boards with other scenarios/games?
2. Since none of the buildings correspond to a Hero's starting space, each Hero starts in a random building with a free Hero card, right?

Fire Extinguisher:
1. How much range does the fire extinguish have? The card says (for normal use) it pushes all zombies in the 8 adjacent spaces away 1 space. I would assume it also puts out any fires on those same 8 spaces and puts out any burning zombies that are repelled.
2. Does the fire extinguisher get stopped by walls? For example, in the fire station... if there is a fire in the space of the first floor office's exterior door and a fire on the second floor space orthogonally adjacent, and the Hero is standing in the 2nd floor space right above the office stairs, will the use of the fire extinguisher only put out the 2nd floor fire, or will it also put out the 1st floor fire that is diagonal to the Hero but technically behind a wall?

|fire Hero|
|=== |
]fire |stair :
:________:

Zombie Mob question:
1. Your examples of the 3 zombies wanting to climb into the treehouse says that the first zombie who attempts to climb will succeed on a 3+ (because of the two other zombies in the same square). However, if the second zombie now also wants to climb up, that zombie only gets a 4+ to climb, because there's only one other zombie in the square? Is that the right interpretation?

Well, that's enough for now. Wonderful expansion! I'm using poster putty to keep the burning zombie tokens attached to the appropriate zombies, making it easy to move them around. Dang! I forgot to take pictures!

For those of you in the Vancouver WA area, and who plan to attend GameStorm, sign up for my game session (Saturday Mar 26, 7pm) and see how it plays!

Case 1: "a" only.
Case 2: "b & d" only

1. Gas fires: This was called out because Gasoline explosions could potentially ignite all 9 squares, and I was just reinforcing that.

2. No. It only works if you throw it into a fire, not a zombie. (Feel free to play it what way if you wish though)

3. Nope. Only if the item lands of a square with a Flare marker. (Feel free to play it what way if you wish though)

4. It applies to every zombie which is on fire. Even if the zombie player chose not to move them the zombie must be rolled and given a chance to burn to death.

1. Betsy must be drawn. The Yard just gives her a special bonus if the Hero players choose to place her there.

1. All X's are ignored, as zombies ONLY spawn from the manor. This includes taken over cards. They do not have to be spaced evenly and can spawn from any square in the manor house.

2. I start them in a random building without a card since they will be able to search jsut as other hero's can.

1. Correct, it has the same range.

2. It can hit all 8 surround spaces regardless.

1. That's the correct interpretation. As Zombie's leave the Mob it gets weaker and so does the climb bonus.

Thanks for the questions. I appreciate you asking them becuase it helps me know what to do better when making/explaining these rules. I hope that helps. You were spot on for most of them, but a little clarity never hurts.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stories of the Undead Inferno (Unofficial) Expansion FAQ! - D153453D - 03-15-2011 12:30 AM