Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oddities in the board layout?
06-14-2012, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2012 08:29 PM by mqstout.)
RE: Oddities in the board layout?
( A ) Game's set in the early 1980s. Sensibilities may have changed since then.
( B ) Most towns are completely concrete and asphalt. That'd make for an ugly board compared to the grass.
( C ) But most importantly: Abstractions.

I never think that the board's an actual representation of the town. In zombie movies, there's usually lots of running. Lots of ground to cover. Woodinvale is rural, so there will be lots of running across grass, covering terrain.

I've always seen the building sizes as relative to their importance to the plot. There are lots of student characters, half of all horror movies involve them -- the school's important. More scenes, activity can take place there. People always take refuge in the gun shop or church -- they're big. Police stations and farmhouses (and factories -- let's ignore 30 Days of Night Here!) are usually short (intense) scenes. Don't devote a lot of real estate to them. ("More spaces, bigger chance of a scene happening there.")

Things make even less sense if you think of them literally while the center board is the manor house! When it's there, the game (scenario) tends to revolve around it. It gets many scenes, most of them even. It's huge!

I'd love to get some more behind-the-scenes from Jason & Co about the development history of the game, and the board's a great topic for that.

(Thanks for starting this thread, BTW!)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Oddities in the board layout? - sgiove - 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM
RE: Oddities in the board layout? - sgiove - 06-14-2012, 06:21 PM
RE: Oddities in the board layout? - mqstout - 06-14-2012 08:21 PM