Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scenario experience: Revenge of the Dead
07-03-2012, 07:17 AM
RE: Scenario experience: Revenge of the Dead
(07-03-2012 12:16 AM)EvilNed Wrote:  I just played this for the first time. We were two players, one hero and one zombie. Myself, playing the zombie, I couldn't help but feeling the scenario was hopelessly unbalanced, in the hero's favour.

We stopped played when there were five turns left. The hour was late and there was simply no chance that I was going to achieve my goal of killing five heros. I had, up to that point, managed to wound ONE hero.

The zombies were too slow to keep up with any of the heroes, who moved in a pack and kept themselves distanced from the majority of zombies at all costs.

There was nothing in this scenario that forced heroes to places where they would risk coming into vicinity of zombies, and the short gameplay (clocking in at the shortest scenario at 13 turns) made catching up with the heroes pretty difficult.

I did manage to encircle them once, all four of them actually, but a few well placed revolver shots broke my line and let the heroes through.

Also, when only playing the base game, I'm pretty sure you run into cards like Shamble and other movement enhancing cards more often. I did not draw a single such card during this playthrough.

Overall, not a super fun scenario. Too little time to accomplish something that perhaps isn't the zombies forté = Killing loads of heroes. Zombies are good at discouraging heroes and scaring them away. But rarely does a sensible hero player get himself stuck in a slugmatch with zombies.

However, even when those slugmatches did appear in my game, I must admit I had a pretty bad stroke of dice luck. Out of maybe six fights, I won one. And that's with double zombie fight dice and winning on ties!

Sorry to hear you didn't have fun with this scenario. I can't help thinking you should have played through all turns though. I know you aren't supposed to play board games at all cost but that's what I do Watchmen02

This game's flaw - at least a flaw to others than yours truly - is you do need luck to actually win. If your dice fail you, you can't win unless the cards are in your favour. If they aren't any good either, you can't win as long as your opponent play his/her strategy right. Period.

That said, even though I suffer from bad die rolling from time to time I usually pull the right cards to push the Heroes around. And that's what this scenario is all about. With the ZP's hand size of 6 cards I find it hard not pull some badstuff and as long as I keep the cards flowing I know there'll be horrors in every turn.

I actually played this very scenario last night. After 3 turns 4 buildings got Taken Over and I had the Heroes running scared and weeping around Woodinvale. In the end they managed to win (hey, it's a B movie after all) but it was a darn close one.

I recently bought SOTF and it was my second game session using grave weapons and survival tactics/unique items. Johnny had a lucky survival tactic find (can't remember the card's title) which allowed him an extra roll to check wether a hand weapon was actually lost. Nice one. This card did save his shotgun from being lost quite a few times and more importantly, it secured victory for the Heroes, but it wasn't an easy win.

Overall, I really enjoy this scenario as it places the ZP on offense and the HPs on the verge of breaking down. It's fun even to lose as it's always a win for me if I sense a glint of fear in the eyes of my opponents.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scenario experience: Revenge of the Dead - scarydk - 07-03-2012 07:17 AM