Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Line of Sight Dispute
05-17-2015, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2015 12:14 AM by jeffd1830.)
Line of Sight Dispute
Here's a diagram with a few hypothetical things going on to demonstrate:

[Image: LNOE-LineOfSightQuestion.png]

In this situation, lets say circles are targeting squares and squares are targeting circles.

The colored ovals I've placed on walls indicates which walls are ignored by the circle models, due to their being adjacent to those walls.

In like manner, the colored rectangles I've placed on walls indicate which walls are ignored by the square models, due to their being adjacent to those walls.

The green and orange situations seems to be well defined in the existing rules. Green circle can target green square because she (circle) is adjacent to both of the walls. Green square cannot target green circle, because he (square) is adjacent to neither.

Orange is the opposite situation. Orange circle can't target orange square because she (circle) isn't adjacent to either wall, but orange square can see through either wall to target orange circle because he (square) is adjacent to both.

The blue situation also seems fairly straight forward. There is a clear line of sight between the blue circle and square, they could easily target each other. (They can also see thru the walls into the building, but that's a moot point if they're targeting each other. As an aside though, blue square could target either the red square or the red circle, but blue circle CANNOT target red square because it would have to pass through a second (non-adjacent) wall in order to do so.)

But the REAL question, the dispute which I'm trying to settle...

Can red circle target red square? The walls protrude onto the INSIDE of the squares, so there's a nubbin in the way making it so there's not a clear line of sight from the center of red circle's space to the center of red square's place. I said no, but my co-players said yes. (I reasoned that walls are depicted on one side of the grid line or the other for a reason, otherwise they would just straddle the line half way. The line drawn from the center of the one space to the other clearly passes thru both of the walls, only one of which she (red circle) is eligible to see through.)

A similar situation is for a wall that favors one side of the gridline turning the corner and favoring the other side of the gridline after that, demonstrated through grey on this diagram. I think grey circle can clearly target grey square because it only has to pass through its own wall. Grey square, however, has to pass through the portion of grey circle's square which contains the wall that only grey circle can see through, therefore, grey square does not have line of sight to grey circle.

Can someone give a clear ruling on this one way or the other and a reference or reason for it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Line of Sight Dispute - jeffd1830 - 05-17-2015 09:02 PM
RE: Line of Sight Dispute - mqstout - 05-19-2015, 01:22 PM
RE: Line of Sight Dispute - jeffd1830 - 05-19-2015, 10:24 PM
RE: Line of Sight Dispute - jeffd1830 - 05-29-2015, 12:09 AM
RE: Line of Sight Dispute - StayPuft - 05-29-2015, 06:42 PM
RE: Line of Sight Dispute - jeffd1830 - 05-30-2015, 09:38 PM
RE: Line of Sight Dispute - StayPuft - 06-05-2015, 08:44 PM
RE: Line of Sight Dispute - jeffd1830 - 06-06-2015, 12:42 AM
RE: Line of Sight Dispute - mqstout - 06-06-2015, 01:36 PM