Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
had some play time and have a few rules ?'s
11-29-2010, 11:21 PM
RE: had some play time and have a few rules ?'s
yep.. could be interveinging foliage.. or other transient obstacles that just aren't 'MAP' items.

lawnmower out in the way.. garbage cans.. gate with a slightly rusty lock.. pile of raked leaves. stack of stones for garden work.. etc..

I tried to tell my guys to think of it like this.

start outside, now run in thru your house at top speed, run into the kitchen and grab a big plastic spoon ( imagine it is a knofe.. only safer ).. now run at top speed out another door.

hard to run at top speed in even a clean open plan house.... now imagine something trying to eat you is following.. imagine the lights may not be on. I don't leave mine on when i leave..

and remember some of this happens at night... might not be a good moon. might be cold so there is restrictive clothing... and keep in mind there was liekly no advance notice of the upcoming undead happy hour.. thus you might be on your way home from work.. or otherwise not prepaired for survival 101.. might be a lil shel shocked for having to shoot your neighbor after he tried to eat you.

soundguy

(11-29-2010 11:08 PM)flightmek25 Wrote:  
(11-29-2010 10:58 PM)soundguy Wrote:  I try to tell my group this as well. it's random. sometimes you are the grass sometimes the mower.

I even try to give my humans a chance. I *rarely* play with the grave weapons .. though i do use grave dead as often as possible.

and yeah.. it should be hard to fight something that attacks only and doesn't bother defending because it does not feel pain or loose blood.

as for movement. I thinkt he 1d6 is fine. how many times have we slipped in some mud or hit a small hole.. or a toy / rake left out in the yard.. etc.

soundguy

On Movement:
You are 100% right about this one. But aside from the character being a total clown and slipping and sliding everywhere, there is so much more that can be going on that we simply can't see. Just because the map shows a clear, grassy field, doesn't mean there is nothing there. After all, it is easy to imagine the following as explanations for bad die rolls:

1.) there could be an abandoned car the hero jumps in as he/she desperately searches for keys.
2.) Perhaps the hero finds a gun only to realize it is out of ammo.
3.)Maybe there is a fence along that field that the hero has difficulty climbing.
4.) The hero could fall down a hill and be temporarily hurt while the zombies close in...
5.) Perhaps, unsure of where to go next, the hero attempts to hide in an old barn.

The possibilities are endless. It seems that your players - much like mine - are viewing the game mechanically instead of virtually.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: had some play time and have a few rules ?'s - soundguy - 11-29-2010 11:21 PM