Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recently Read Wash Advice
04-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Recently Read Wash Advice
I was reading some painting tutorials online to see if I could find anything about enamel paints, and I found the following tidbits that I never followed. Does anyone else do this? Is it necessary?

Quote:It is important that the type of paint used does not affect the underlying base paint surface. Therefore, if the model is painted with acrylics, the wash should be oil or enamel and vice versa. It is common to put a protective layer of varnish on the base coat of paint before applying a wash.

Or pay any heed to this?

Quote:Furthermore, a wash needs to be applied to a gloss or semi-gloss surface, whereas a filter is best applied to a matt/flat finish.

I generally use matte enamel paints, then mix a wash using enamel paints and thinner. I have fair success with this. I have never heard the above rules before. What do you all think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Recently Read Wash Advice - vikinglad - 04-19-2011 06:24 PM
RE: Recently Read Wash Advice - Old Dwarf - 04-19-2011, 06:35 PM