Hi everyone! TheZombieGame.com will be shutting it's doors on 24 May 2024. This page has been going for years and years and it's time for me to stop spending money on it. See you in another life!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
first zombies (continued)
03-03-2012, 05:14 AM
RE: first zombies (continued)
(03-03-2012 04:55 AM)phantomninja Wrote:  Once again, good job. How long did it take you to paint these 3 zombies?

About 6 hours total. I'm still a slow worker but I think it will get better as I learn more. I'm still experimenting - for example I only had a bright yellow so it took me a couple of tries to mix paints that I was satisfied with for blonde hair (the mix I used was the yellow with some white added but thinking back maybe I should mix light brown in instead).

Also I stopped after the base paint job and went back to the forums to read samuraitrev's guide to washes and highlighting. When I made the wash I went with a burnt umber that was darker than everything on the zombie and watered it down but I should have added more water. It's hard for me to judge the volume of the water vs volume of paint.

I tried to use a darker green wash on zombie #1 but I didn't like how it looked on his shirt so I ended up adding some of the burnt umber wash over it.

Maybe I had the wrong impression. I thought you could use a wash on the whole figure. Are you supposed to used different washes over the different areas?

I then tried to do a little highlighting, mostly on zombie #2, using a lighter green on raised areas of the face and other exposed skin. I felt like my highlights were too dramatic though so I mitigated them a bit when I added the blood (which was a pretty fun part after all that work).

Also I didn't do any work on the bases until the end because I haven't found a satisfactory way to immobilize the figures while I paint them. I've been holding them by the base and painting so when the main figure was all done I still went back and added primer, paint, and varnish to the base.

So definitely time-consuming but I'm learning and having a lot of fun.

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
first zombies (continued) - goodcop2000 - 03-03-2012, 01:15 AM
RE: first zombies (continued) - goodcop2000 - 03-03-2012 05:14 AM
RE: first zombies (continued) - Emp - 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
RE: first zombies (continued) - Pred - 03-03-2012, 10:45 AM
RE: first zombies (continued) - vikinglad - 03-03-2012, 06:56 PM
RE: first zombies (continued) - Emp - 03-04-2012, 08:29 AM
RE: first zombies (continued) - vikinglad - 03-04-2012, 06:15 PM