Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Stephen King's "The Dark Tower"
03-02-2009, 12:47 AM
RE: Stephen King's "The Dark Tower"
I do vaguely remember King's statement at the end of the final book. I didn't take it much as an apology, but more as preparation for the inevitable disappoint bound to be felt by many people who had expectations of the end. After so many years and such a long story, there was bound to be a LOT of people who wanted something specific at the top of the Tower and they weren't going to get it. So King gave the option to end the reading at that point and leave what lies beyond the door a mystery, or go forward and see exactly what's there, whether you like it or not. Of course, after coming all that way, I doubt any reader would opt to NOT know what was in the Tower. I breezed through his warning and charged headfirst into the Tower, almost knocking Roland out of the way. I HAD to know.

I did love the first three books, also. They were exciting and had me hooked every step of the way. That's why I despised Wizard and Glass so much. It interrupted that story that I was craving to read. As I said, I nearly quit reading multiple times over about two years. I just didn't want to deal with a flashback of all new characters in a new setting. Admittedly, I was selfish and Wizard and Glass is probably the finest story out of the series, but it's still not my favorite. I do love Wolves of the Calla. I thought I was going to hate that as well, but it was as complex as it was simple and it gave the characters time to show their personalities again after such a long break in the fourth book. Song of Susannah started to go downhill with the lyrical nature and time hopping. Plus it led to Mordred, the worst thing that happened to the series. The final book continued the downward slide until the story finally dragged its bloated body across the finish line.

Still, the part after King's warning was the only thing I cared for. I wasn't disappointed and, as I said, I think it was the only possible way to end Roland's journey without killing him.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" - n107 - 02-28-2009, 01:38 AM
RE: Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" - n107 - 02-28-2009, 03:57 PM
RE: Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" - n107 - 03-02-2009 12:47 AM