Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Touch of Evil Android app
07-28-2012, 09:13 PM
RE: A Touch of Evil Android app
I've been pretty busy with real life and work, so haven't had a lot of time to work on the app and get it finished up. But I'm also still waiting to hear back from Flying Frog, so I'd not be uploading it to the market yet, either way.

But the last couple days I've had some time and motivation to work on it a little more, and I put in the Shadow Track counter!

[Image: shadowtrackexample.jpg]

[Image: shadowtrackexample2.jpg]

So the way it works is, once you choose a Villain and are ready to start the game, it begins at 20 (of course). You tap on the number to move the Shadow Track closer to darkness, and long-press to move it away. When I first started on this aspect, at first I envisioned the graphic just reporting the current Shadow Track number, and you'd long-press it to pop up a new screen where you'd see the whole Shadow Track and the Lair Costs and the Villain bonuses. And on that screen is where you would move the Shadow Track position.

But I was confused as to how to fully make this work as I saw it. How to make the buttons properly function and create this large, interactive Shadow Track graphic. And so, because I'm still very programming-dumb and to make it as simple as possible, I thought I'd just try to incorporate all the info on the cardboard Shadow Track into that single main screen graphic. And I was happy that, hopefully, that worked well and it didn't seem overly cramped or hard to read.

It's simple but it's not entirely perfect. I think it's safe to say, in general, one would have to know the rules when using the app. A brand new player couldn't open the app and be given absolutely all of the needed info. And this is very true with the Shadow Track-there wasn't much room to add a note like "Apply Villain Bonuses only in Cooperative Games" and there's no clear indicator every time you've moved the track into a new section, necessary knowledge for some card effects. But if you know the game already, it works well enough, you'll know whether to apply Villain Bonuses or not and you'll know that whenever a Villain Bonus pops up on the graphic, that you've entered a new section of the Shadow Track.

So I think it does a preeeettty good job, for my purposes at least. The fact that I now don't have to reference anything other than cards is awesome. And the Shadow Track doesn't run the risk of being bumped or brushed over while messing with the board or the card decks.

I think this will be the last bit of function that I add in, and now REALLY I just need to finish up the graphics for the rest of the Villains. I'm excited to finish this up, cause I've been thinking of how I'd go about making a similar app for Fortune And Glory and I'm eager to get started.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A Touch of Evil Android app - JRSly - 07-13-2012, 05:03 AM
RE: A Touch of Evil Android app - scarydk - 07-13-2012, 08:51 AM
RE: A Touch of Evil Android app - JRSly - 07-14-2012, 12:17 AM
RE: A Touch of Evil Android app - sickboy - 07-14-2012, 10:09 AM
RE: A Touch of Evil Android app - JRSly - 07-14-2012, 05:05 PM
RE: A Touch of Evil Android app - JRSly - 07-14-2012, 09:41 PM
RE: A Touch of Evil Android app - JRSly - 07-28-2012 09:13 PM
RE: A Touch of Evil Android app - JRSly - 07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
RE: A Touch of Evil Android app - JRSly - 08-01-2012, 07:44 PM