Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
There are no good zombie board games?
10-25-2012, 10:05 PM
RE: There are no good zombie board games?
I've been playing games for more than a decade now, but I've only really started playing board games a few months ago. And I've never played any zombie board game outside of Last Night On Earth.

I like several things about Last Night on Earth: First, the mechanics are so simple that it's easy to learn and the game engine is relatively free-flowing and customizable. One game won't capture the feel of an entire zombie movie or story, but it can capture one part of a story quite well. Do you want an action-packed zombie experience? Play the Die Zombies Die scenario. With a good number of Heroes, maps, scenarios, and events, each game experience is almost guaranteed to be unique.

One aspect that I haven't fully taken advantage of (and I'll even go as far concluding that a majority of players haven't done this as well) is the customizability of the game engine. Want a REALLY action-packed game that is akin to Zombicide? Create your own scenario, where all of the Heroes start with a Weapon and up to 21 Zombies are already in play. Just tweak the rules to suit your needs. You can even give it a Left 4 Dead feel by arranging the board in such a way that it's a long map rather than a square one and give the Human players the objective of getting to the safe room. Timber Peak already has an Experience system to add an RPG feel to the game.

What's hard is that people have different tastes. I know that there are a lot that prefer the fast-paced games of Zombicide over the more imagination-dependent Last Night on Earth (and seriously, the LNOE game experience really becomes fun if the group is imaginative and brings a little roleplaying into it). Some want a little more depth and more defined roleplay experience that lasts beyond one game, something with more continuity. Just by sticking to the core rules, Last Night on Earth can provide a taste of all these things but to really get the most out of the game, you have to customize the game as necessary.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: There are no good zombie board games? - LabRat - 10-25-2012 10:05 PM