Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
De-randomizng the adventures
02-15-2013, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013 03:29 PM by Pfr_Fate.)
De-randomizng the adventures
You know...I like almost everything about Fang. I painted it up and organized and pimped it. My pal came over excited to play. My kids are excited to play. I brought it out at the meet ign of the game guys...

All the rules went well. The characters felt good.

But it didn't 'work' for us. WHy, oh why???

After thinking it over, giving it time and re-thinking and comparing notes, we came to this conclusion (now this is just us, not meant to say everyone has the same feeling):

When drawing the cards for the Dangers, it produced a very incoherent story. You could get a zeppelin, then a nightclub brawl, then a car chase, then a temple trap (ok...)....or it could be a nightclub brawl, then a car chase and then mob trap (in the antartic)...or it could be a temple trap then a submarine then a mountain cave (in the heartland of the USA).

It made it very hard (or humoursly impossible) to 'feel' like you had an linear adventure from a beginning, middle to end in the location...it felt more like card-flipping after awhile.

There was 100% agreement on that. Everything else was impressive and fun....but the order of the Dangers.

Am I doing this wrong? Are there any ideas? A 'fix' in the works? I want to see this game come out on top, but...

Now I went over to BGG and got this note from a Roy Stephens:
"The "nightclub in the jungle" complaint is one that has come up a lot and I think that is a result of the complainer not having read the rules thoroughly (which is a necessity as MY complaint about the game is how disjointed the rule book is). If the rule book had been read thoroughly, one would have seen the part where they describe a character at an artifact location as "going on an adventure" even to the point of naming it something like "Alexander Cartwright and the Skull of Hades" or whatever. At this point is where the actual "movie" would begin. Just like Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, which starts with a fracas in a nightclub, then to an airplane with no parachutes, then a raging river, a jungle full of vampire bats, Pankot Palace with its gross out dinner, an assassin in the night, a hallway full of bugs, human sacrifice, a foiled theft of the Sankara stones, a captured ally, fights with thugs, mine car chase, more fights, a flooded tunnel, a perilous bridge, and a fight with the villain while literally cliffhanging. You have to visualize every artifact hunt as a different pulp movie. Not everything is literally happening in the Amazon Jungle."

That could be a solution except for the fact that the rest of the game is all about travel (movement rules, cards flipped, etc.)....I wonder of there is a way to better enhance simulation of this suggestion...actually moving the character about? Hmmm..

Messages In This Thread
De-randomizng the adventures - Pfr_Fate - 02-15-2013 03:11 PM
RE: De-randomizng the adventures - mqstout - 02-15-2013, 07:29 PM
RE: De-randomizng the adventures - mqstout - 05-26-2013, 03:12 PM