Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Strange advice from a professor...
03-19-2013, 03:08 AM
Strange advice from a professor...
When faced with the prospect of losing one's job, have any of you been encouraged to take unemployment for any reason? That is what my professor told me.

Many of my colleagues at my job are predicting that our department will be shut down by the end of the fiscal year in June. This is a major stressor in my life, and this has reflected in my scholastic performance--which has diminished to a point where I am in danger of not passing this semester. After discussing my situation with my professor, she actually advised me to draw unemployment for the remainder of my time in the nursing program.

It is not certain that my department will be shut down, but it is very likely. My odds of finding a job that will accommodate my school schedule are slim at best, so I was thinking of joining a temp agency.

I am not asking for advice, but I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I have not in my entire working life heard of someone being advised to take unemployment and *not* search for a job. Very strange....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Strange advice from a professor... - Kevthenurse - 03-19-2013 03:08 AM