Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Townsfolk? More like Heroes!
04-06-2013, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 10:49 PM by Twilight_Sonata.)
RE: Townsfolk? More like Heroes!
(04-06-2013 07:31 AM)deepfreeze Wrote:  Deputy Taylor - I think that the cover fire ability is a little hard to understand. Being able to pick one of two effects seems a little complicated. I would suggest just making it one of them.
Yeah, that's sort of how it ended up like this. I had both of these ideas and couldn't decide between the two, so I just made it so he picked one or the other. Maybe you're right and I should reconsider that, though. It is much more wordy than any of the other Hero abilities... Hmm... I guess if I had to pick between the two it'd be the first one? That's the one that makes the most thematic sense, anyway.

Quote:Doc Brody - If the Nurse can heal people 100% of the time, I don't think it would be too overpowered to let the Doctor remove feeling strange 100%. I would suggest modeling this one after the nurse and only letting him do this to other Heros though.
Also, I am confused as to why he should have to give up a move for a 50% chance of a card cancel. Hero abilities in general are not even considered part of the Hero turn in all of the base Heros?
Doc Brody was actually pretty difficult. He was one of the ones that I did a really long time ago but that just never felt quite right. In the end, I admit that I took the lazy way out with this one and made the ability identical to the Hero Upgrade called Treatment, so that's what it is the way that it is. It could be argued that Treatment is a bit of an under-powered Upgrade, but my reasoning for it in comparison to what Becky gets is:
A) While Brody is a Doctor and Becky just a Nurse, I imagine Brody being something more like a medical doctor than a surgeon. Becky is far more proficient in first aid and emergency care while Brody's proficiency lies more in long term medical treatment.
B) With Always Zombie Heroes now being a standard rule and Infected Markers only being able to be removed by this exactly ability (because it's not a [Remains in Play] card), the Immunity ability is actually pretty great defensively, and I don't want to overpower him in comparison to the other Medical Hero.

Quote:Not sure why thematically he should be immune to I'm feeling Strange.
From my understanding of the game's plot line, Doc Brody was actually there himself back in the day when Zombies first attacked the town, and I wanted to give him something interesting to reflect the fact that he's lived through this before. Given his general Medical theme, this seemed like the most logical way to go. In fact, it's a bit of a seed for more possible plot around him, sort of like why I gave Lizzy the Military keyword and Jeb the Criminal keyword.

Quote:Farmer Stye - I think this ability lets him stop zombies from moving into his square. Is that what you meant?
No, the intent of the ability is to prevent Zombies from moving out of adjacent squares. This can be used to stop Zombies from moving into his square, but it can also be used to stop Zombies from moving into other Heroes' squares. I wanted to do this sort of mechanic for him as a bit of a reflection of what his Townsfolk Hero card does. In fact, most of the Townsfolk Heroes I have here have at least one ability that is at least reminiscent of something their Event card can do.

Quote:Lizzy - I think she is frankly overpowered (but her Townsfolk card probably is to haha). The pump shotgun is arguably the best weapon in the game. I don't think any hero should start with it. Adding the ability to shoot 2x without the possibility of running out of ammo seems a little much to me.
I personally think the Pump Shotgun is a tad overrated, but two things to consider are (a) that she can definitely still run out of ammo when using a gun during hear own Ranged Attack phase and (b) that her bonus shot can only target one Zombie no matter what gun she uses. This creates a sort of situation where it'll often be more beneficial for her to not make any ranged attacks for fear of losing her gun in favor of gambling on the Zombie being beaten in a fight, where she can then only target one Zombie in exchange for not worry about ammo loss. If you do think she she's overpowered this way, though, make it so that she can only use Double Tap during her own Fights or remove the part about her not risking ammo loss?

Quote:Principal Gomez - His ability is a little hard to understand.
Really? I thought his was in the running for one of the simplest ones here. He just gets to try to cancel a Zombie card at the start of every Hero Turn. I'm actually still worried that it's overpowered, because every other Hero with the ability to cancel Zombie cards has to give something up for it (such as take a wound or discard an item), though he does have the restriction of only being able to do it once per round and only at the start of the Hero Turn and needing to roll for it.

Quote:Why the two different dice rules for specific cards?
Mostly thematic reasons. Remember, it's not just that it's those specific cards but that it's those specific cards when targeting Student Heroes. Without that extra part, the ability just seems kind of boring to me, not to mention maybe a bit under-powered. I'd think 4+ by default, a 50-50 chance, would be too good for this ability, but the one-third chance offered by 5+ isn't exactly reliable, so the extra thematic part also goes towards making him more reliable in at least some situations.

Quote:T Bone - I don't quite get his Come at me ability. Is this just to let him break ties if zombie hunger could go either way?
Yup, pretty much. He's the bait. He forces the Zombies to go after him, acting as a distraction so that other Heroes that may be close to dying or that are trying to complete an objective can more easily do their thing in peace. He's not going to be a fantastic defender because of his two health boxes, but hey, he's just a dumb jock, right? Plus, if he has another Student Hero like Johnny in his space, the Zombies might actually be in for a world of hurt.

Quote:Anyways. Great ideas. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks! I'm glad you like! Watchmen02
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Townsfolk? More like Heroes! - Twilight_Sonata - 04-06-2013 10:48 PM