Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My recurring problem with LNoE
09-11-2014, 08:23 PM
My recurring problem with LNoE
So LNoE introduced me to thematic board games so it will always hold a special place in my heart but there's a growing gap between how much I enjoy the likes of aToE or FanG when compared to my enjoyment for the original FFG, LNoE. I mean it's not even on my top ten list anymore and I'm wondering if other people are having that problem too.

My problem with LNoE is the zombie player! I feel the whole mechanic is inherently flawed, though it generally only manifests itself in larger games of 5 and 6 players. Unfortunately 5-6 players is generally the number of players I tend to game with when LNoE is pulled out.

So here's a typical sequence of a few rounds of game play for me:

Zombie turn: Zombies roll to spawn, success, draw cards, they move... one slow shambling step. Maybe play a card to move one guy farther. Zombies spawn. 2 minutes to end turn

Hero turn: Heros search. Hero's outside move to rendezvous with others inside. end. 2 minutes to end turn

Zombie turn: Max zombies state achieved until zombies die. discard and draw cards. zombies move. end. 2 minutes to end turn.

Hero turn: Heros search. A little discussion on whether the hero closest to a few zombies should move yet or keep searching. More discussion on how to use the items they have. Time: 5 minutes for turn to end

Zombie turn: Can't spawn, discard and draw cards, zombies move. end. 2 minutes to end turn.

Hero turn: Zombies almost on us! Search for some heroes, move and regroup for others. discussion... more discussion... MORE discussion. maybe shoot some zombies... end. 10 minutes to end turn.

Zombies: draw, and move maybe fight a hero now. Time 2-3 minutes

Hero Turn: blablabla 15 minutes

Zombies: 2 minutes *zombies groan*

Heroes: 15 minutes

Anyway you get the point. The zombie turns get complicated maybe once or twice a game. You get one big payoff... two if you're lucky by cornering the heroes and don't get me wrong, that's a lot of fun. BUT... literally every game I play with 4 people piloting the 4 heroes, the hero turn just gets longer and longer and longer.

I still enjoy this game but the consistent lopsided nature of turns in larger games really detracts from my enjoyment. Does anyone else have a similar problem. Are there solutions? Game variants people find work for the zombie player as much as for the hero player when you're hosting a 6 player game?

I don't know. I've gotten increasingly frustrated with LNoE and that results in it sitting on the shelf more often than not these days. I didn't even buy the Blood in the Forest expansion when it came out and that is a first for me.

The only thing that immediately comes to mind to serve as a comparison is the old axis and allies game. It was booked as a 3-5 player game but playing 3 players was obnoxious because 2 players got to play 2 factions while the third player was stuck with one faction. So basically you got to watch everyone else go through 2 entire turns for every one of yours.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
My recurring problem with LNoE - Raynor - 09-11-2014 08:23 PM
RE: My recurring problem with LNoE - ch82 - 09-12-2014, 08:54 PM
RE: My recurring problem with LNoE - ch82 - 09-16-2014, 02:56 PM