Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: Do you give new gamers a chance?
Yes I practically give them the game. They could be future gaming buddies.
Maybe a little. I explain the rules. Answer all questions truthfully but don't give them an easy win.
Not really. After explaining the rules I try my utmost to win. Learn the hard way. That's how it was back in the day.
NO 'EFFIN WAY. MY GAME MY RULES. I PLAY TO WIN. I'M THE BEST GAMER I KNOW IN FACT I'M THE ONLY GAMER I KNOW (sigh...)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New players: Should gamers give them a chance?
12-01-2014, 10:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2014 10:06 PM by StayPuft.)
RE: New players: Should gamers give them a chance?
I voted for the option that it seems most have so far. I voted for the option saying that I absolutely help them, but don't just intentionally give them an easy win. At the same time, I won't go for the jugular and absolutely MURDER them just because I am more experienced at the game. I want them to have fun and want to come back and play more.

At the same time, though, if they are the kind of person who doesn't have fun unless they are winning, then I don't want them in my gaming group anyway. So, I don't agree with just letting them win easily. I'm not going to rip their throat out and then dance over their corpse singing "You suck! I rule! You suck! I rule!" LOL! At the same time, though, it isn't really as much fun (for you or them) or you are just full on letting somebody win. Yet, I do still at least monitor myself and dial it back a bit if they are having too rough a time.

As others have said, I'll even offer advice. Heck, I even sometimes do that with my regular gamers. I'll often jokingly say things like "I'd love to tell you 'XYZ' so I can swoop in and win, but in the interest of being fair, 'ABC' might actually be a better move." I mean, mind you if I know they know the game as well as I do, I can safely assume they'd know the options. But, if they are new to it, or even new to my group, I won't just gleefully let them pass up a really good opportunity because maybe they didn't know the game well enough to know it was even an opportunity. Dunno if I am explaining what I mean well there.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New players: Should gamers give them a chance? - StayPuft - 12-01-2014 10:01 PM