Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Officially Irritated With Flying Frog...
08-26-2015, 01:51 AM
RE: Officially Irritated With Flying Frog...
(08-25-2015 11:50 PM)SoCalRMD Wrote:  All my flying frog games are officially dust collectors on my shelf unfortunately. My friends and I have played them so many times and with SoB has consumed FFG so much that every game has become ignored and with no new expansions even on the horizon for LNoE or FanG or anything but DG it's really got me thinking of just culling them from my game shelf and either selling them on ebay or trading them in to a local game store for credit so I can grab some other games I will enjoy. This really bums me out because LNoE got me into board games and now the company I loved just ran head first into a brickwall called SoB that has just stalled them big time.

You know, while we're clearing the air regarding our feelings toward Flying Frog, let me have my turn. This feeling started years ago with me. Literally years -- it's got to be close to ten since LNOE came out. I was a huge fan, but even at the time, there was this undercurrent of "Flying Frog knows best." At least, it felt like that to me. There was an issue with the game cards on the first run of LNOE where they were horribly dark, and when you added expansions it was so easy to see which were which. The response, summed up to a few words, was "don't worry about it." People were very worried about it. Another issue at the time was the promo cards, and if you'd missed some whether or not it would be possible to get them later. It was because of our endless whining that those damn promo cards were finally made more readily available.

What I realized was that I was way too interested in the collecting aspect, and bought all sets automatically because I wanted the promo cards and promo figures. It started to feel like a scam. That, plus shipping from Flying Frog to Canada is nuts. It's SO much cheaper to buy the games online NOT from Flying Frog, or from the local game store. So I was paying $50 in shipping for the pleasure of some promo cards. FANG was the straw that broke that camel's back.

And then Shadows. Oh, Shadows. I toyed with the idea endlessly, spent hours on Kickstarter, but finally decided to spend $500 on a board game was obscene. It broke the spell that Flying Frog had over me, and I haven't bought a thing since. At the time, I remember thinking that this game was going to officially ruin Flying Frog. My gosh, brilliant game or not, I'll forever think of my decision to stay the hell away as one of my better ones.

Was I going about it all wrong? Probably. I think Flying Frog wants people to just buy what they want and play with it. But they're hard core gamers, and you can't tell me that they had no idea that lots of game players are also collectors. That's my two cents, like it or not. I check in to this website once or twice a year. I'm glad I'm done with all these games.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Officially Irritated With Flying Frog... - theconcerned - 08-26-2015 01:51 AM