Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Timing of Wounds and Valeria
01-06-2014, 12:04 AM
RE: Timing of Wounds and Valeria
Thanks MoonSylver for confirming I have not been off-base interpreting the rules the way I did.

I don't see anything in the rules that tells you to ignore the "extra" wounds. All Hit dice create Wounds, all Wounds are placed on the character sheet.

I have to say that we are about 40/60 in defeating the various Villains, with the Heroes winning 40% of the time. It seems if we played with this Hero-friendly concept of ingoring Hits the game would become quite a bit easier than what we have been experiencing. With our skill level in the game that would sure feel like a let-off.

Also, other questions come to mind with this. Most recently we played the Nutcracker. His Crushing Bite has you losing an Item or Ally, or taking an additional Hit on each of his to hit rolls of 6. Can I choose that these become Hits and then ignore other Hits?

Here's the scenario: I have two wounds open. The Nutcracker rolls two 6's and two 5's against me. I state that I'll take the 6's as additional Hits, so he has Hit me 6 times. I ignore four of them, and only need to prevent one of the two that land on me to stay upright. I don't see any scenario where I would ever have to lose an Item or Ally to resolve his 6's. I will always have the option to take them as additional Hits that will convert to Wounds that can be ignored.

The way we currently play (having to resolve all Hits/Wounds) if I don't have enough wound boxes open I cannot automatically choose to take the 6's as additional Hits. With two wound boxes open I can absorb the first 6 as two Wounds, but not the 2nd. So if I'm KO'd I'm going to lose at least one Item/Ally. In this scenario I would need to cancel/prevent 3 Wounds and give up two Items/Allies to stay upright (if I apply the 5's as Wounds), or I would need to cancel/prevent 4 Wounds and give up one Item/Ally to stay upright (if I apply one 6 as 2 Wounds), or cancel/prevent 5 Wounds which would save my Items/Allies. It doesn't make sense that I could choose to take Wounds that I cannot resolve.

The Banshee also has an additional effect on her to hit rolls of 6 (lose 2 Investigation or take an additional Hit). The Gargoyle is similar but different because the extra effect is not optional (Stone Touch).

It seems that the game was conceived as all Wounds need to be resolved...and some wires got crossed along the way. But this might have something to do with some players making claims that the game is too easy even in Advanced mode.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Timing of Wounds and Valeria - ATOEtalGeek - 01-06-2014 12:04 AM