Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Real Time" Zombie Movement
09-22-2022, 02:52 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2022 03:00 AM by mkrob89.)
"Real Time" Zombie Movement
Has anyone toyed with moving the zombies, during the movement phase as the Heroes, when playing solo?

My intention for this is the fact Zombies will react immediately to a Heroes actions. So I tried a method of moving the Zombies as I moved my Heroes.

This made moving much more strategic, as a hole in the zombies alignment could close mid-movement, leaving the Hero surrounded by Zombies!

Board Layout -
Attempt 1: Normal board configuration. Normal spawning rules.
Attempt 2: 4 L boards, in a rectangle.

Results: Attempt 2 worked best. It was a smaller board and allowed the Zombies to spawn in the middle of the board, instead of the edges.

How it worked:

I rolled a D4 along with the D6 movement dice. The D4 acted as a Noise dice, I suppose. It determined the strength of the action the Hero took. I rolled it and applied it even when searching.
1 = 1 space
2 = 2 spaces
3 = 3 spaces
4 = No noise

Attempt 1: For every 1 space the Hero moved, the zombies moved 1 space, that were within the D4 range.
Example: move hero 1 space, then any zombie within the d4 rolled, moves 1 space. Rinse and repeat until hero cannot move or a zombie enters their space.

Attempt 2: for every 2 spaces the Hero moves, the zombies move 1 space.

Results: Attempt 2 seemed to work better. Attempt 1 was way too hard. I got to thinking, zombies are a little slower to react, so a 2:1 hero:zombie movement may seem more logical. It worked well! Still challenging but not too overwhelming!

Spawning:
Attempt 1 and 2 - I spawned zombies based on the heroes locations first.

This counted as the Zombie movement, for the Zombie turn phase. Only a movement card, played during the Zombie Turn, could move them any additional spaces.

I will continue to playtest this and see what results I come up with! Attempt 2 was a much better playthrough, as I lost on the final round trying to get to the truck!

Has anyone else tried anything like this before?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
"Real Time" Zombie Movement - mkrob89 - 09-22-2022 02:52 AM
RE: "Real Time" Zombie Movement - mkrob89 - 09-22-2022, 11:50 AM
RE: "Real Time" Zombie Movement - mkrob89 - 09-25-2022, 06:39 AM
RE: "Real Time" Zombie Movement - mkrob89 - 09-30-2022, 09:48 PM
RE: "Real Time" Zombie Movement - mkrob89 - 10-01-2022, 08:00 AM