Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Top Three Dream Board Games that Got Away Thread...
10-12-2022, 08:21 PM
The Top Three Dream Board Games that Got Away Thread...
I'm sure I'm not alone when I look back on the ones that got away. I fondly remember (1990) looking up at the top shelf in my local game shop (it was called Excalibur Games) and seeing all those great titles up there. I would take them down after being blown away by the box art.
I gravitated straight away to 1st ed. Space Hulk as I loved the Alien films and these had more than a nod to them. I saved up my paper round wages £10 a week ($11.10) and bought it. I was transported into a whole new universe! I also saved and bought the expansions Death Wing and Genestealer.

Soon after, when finances allowed, other games followed Heroquest, Advanced Heroquest, Space Crusade, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, Space Marine, Blood Bowl 40k and later titles such as Gorkamorka.

However, there were games that I really wanted but never got around to getting at the time and I WISH I had. This was due to not being able to afford them or just not knowing of their existence at the time.

1) Warhammer Quest. This is the epitome of everything I love. Dungeon crawling, treasure, monsters, miniatures to paint, jigsaw fitting dungeon tiles, fantasy setting, there were expansions too. How I wish I could have got it at the timeZombie18 Now I would be looking at 100s of £ or $ to get a copy. To this day, I don't know why I didn't sell my entire possessions to own it.

2) Mordheim, a skirmish based game where rival gangs battle in the pursuit of warpstone from a meteorite that has destroyed the city of Mordheim. It had scenery, miniatures and oozed dark gritty, tooth and nail, battling in the dark and filth of a ruinous city.

3) Blackstone Fortress I have the base game but I never pulled the trigger on the expansions and I regret it massively. Again very, very expensive to get on an auction site now. This completely works for me as I love Space Hulk and Space Crusade. I just had so many projects, I told myself I'd get around to it but alas I never did.

So, tell me, I'm intrigued. Which games got away from you that you wish you'd snagged at the time? I really look forward to your answers...

If you like my work please visit my Tomb http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Forum-The-Tomb
For painting articles visit A Brush with Death http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Top Three Dream Board Games that Got Away Thread... - samuraitrev - 10-12-2022 08:21 PM