Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: A review
06-04-2010, 03:47 AM
RE: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: A review
Discussed this book in my graduate level "Intro to Literary Critical Theory" class last fall, where he read Pride and Prejudice concurrent with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. About half of the class found (or knew beforehand) that they enjoyed Jane Austen's prose and complex plotting, and found the author of PPZ to be a little irritating. The other half who disliked Austen's writing really took to PPZ, and found that reading PPZ made them appreciate Austen more, or at least became tolerable.

Strangely, everyone in the class, including the professor, kept finding humor that they thought had been inserted by PPZ, but instead was in the original work by Austen. Reading PPZ helped them to notice things that they missed from reading the original work. And heck, zombies are starting to become a big deal in lit-crit, whether you use zombies as a criticism for capitalism (see also Romero's movie "Dawn of the Dead"), postmodernism or whatnot. We ended up having a zombie movie night for our uh, "final", because we wanted to explore the whole zombie subject some more.

And... soon there will be "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters." I'm not even kidding. And have you seen that book about "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter"...? It's growing....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: A review - loremasterstl - 06-04-2010 03:47 AM