Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Painted Ash miniature from Evil Dead (look alike)
03-03-2011, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 03:36 PM by samuraitrev.)
RE: Painted Oakley by Hasslefree (Hmm looks a little bit like Ash from Evil Dead...)
(03-03-2011 12:59 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  Do you outline the rips in the shirt and pants in black as part of the Basic step?

Good question Vikinglad and this will help you too Emp I hope.
Another advantage of undercoating your figure black is that when you paint part of the fig. such as the shirt you don't paint right up to the flesh or the straps. Leave a small black gap. Patience and neatness is the key here. If you overlap and lose your black line. Don't panic I make mistakes too!

How to cover overlap mistakes
1) If you have GW black ink (I can't speak for other black inks) Just retouch on that black line. Should cover anything.

2) Or just use Black paint and re-draw a thin line.

Some painters disagree with black lining their figs. as people don't walk around with black lines all over them. This point has merit, but I think personally leaving the black line on black undercoated models (or painting it, which is harder and time consuming) gives the model striking depth. It makes the colours 'jump out' a bit more, and seperates the colours.

If you check out suzy http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...Hasslefree she was undercoated white and no blacklining was used. There are many techniques and I vary them depending on the model.

Black or White Undercoat/Black lining or not?
1) If your model is going to be brighter overall. e.g. lots of flesh/bright vibrant clothing. Then undercoat white. Black lining will look too obvious. Work your colours up let your wash be the dark line that seperates the colours. It's the subtlety path here my friends...

2) If your colours are darker (in general, like Ash ) and you want to go for a bold, striking result (who wouldn't for such a heroic fig.). Undercoat in Black. Paint your colours on, leaving the black lines. This method is arguably quicker because a lot of your shadows are already in place.

Hope this helped
Anymore questions hit me up, always happy to helpWatchmen02
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Painted Oakley by Hasslefree (Hmm looks a little bit like Ash from Evil Dead...) - samuraitrev - 03-03-2011 03:31 PM