Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
questions about paint color and mounting of figures
02-24-2012, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2012 06:29 AM by goodcop2000.)
RE: questions about paint color and mounting of figures
Well I spent about 5 hours tonight painting my first minis - two cowboys and two Indians (the kind you find in a bag in a dollar store).

I'm pretty happy for a first attempt. The only thing that looks really bad is the clear varnish I put on at the end. Either I'm using the wrong kind or I used way too much or I'm supposed to thin it out or something because it just stuck to the figures in the crevasses and looks like crap now that it's dry.

The funny thing is that the figures look better in person because with the close up photography you can see all my mistakes! Watchmen02

I have to say that it was a fun and relaxing activity (at least after my kids stopped bouncing around on the couch behind me while I was trying to paint). I can definitely see how this could be a time-consuming hobby.

I'm having trouble getting all of the attachments to show up in this post (maybe there is a limit on number of attachments per post?) so these just show the original figures:

more pics on next post...
After trimming the mold lines and flash and putting on the primer:

painted versions in next post!

Hmmm, the editor seems to be appending all of my posts together anyway...

After painting:

Final shot of whole group with varnish and next to zombie for scale:

I just looked at the figures again and those pools of varnish are gone. I guess they evaporate? Or it was not completely dry and I jumped the gun.

Final varnished photos:

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: questions about paint color and mounting of figures - goodcop2000 - 02-24-2012 06:00 AM