Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
questions about paint color and mounting of figures
02-24-2012, 06:32 PM
RE: questions about paint color and mounting of figures
(02-24-2012 02:39 PM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  Those spots where things come together (as you mentioned) are frustrating! I would find myself painting for example some hair but it would encroach too far on the face. Then I would wait a few minutes and try to touch up the face but it would encroach on the hair. I did this back and forth several times on tough areas.
Zombie13

One good technique to help with the borders between areas is to "wash" the figure. This means get it as good as you can with your main color scheme, then paint a layer of a dark color (like very dark brown) that has been thinned quite a bit. The pigment will sink into those areas and provide a border of shadow that really adds to the depth of the figures. Do this right before highlighting, like OD suggested, and your figs will go from good to outstanding. I also do this for the eyes on my minis. Just let the darker pigment fill in the eye area, and it will give it a pretty natural looking shadow under the brow. I never have much luck trying to do whites/pupils in eyes.

SamuraiTrev has some good tutorials that include how to do washes and highlighting. He also shows how to purdy up the bases with some sand and such. This also adds a great deal to the final look. Great first attempt. I started with little green army men way back when; this is a great way to practice.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: questions about paint color and mounting of figures - vikinglad - 02-24-2012 06:32 PM