Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
first zombies (continued)
03-03-2012, 05:14 AM
RE: first zombies (continued)
(03-03-2012 04:55 AM)phantomninja Wrote:  Once again, good job. How long did it take you to paint these 3 zombies?

About 6 hours total. I'm still a slow worker but I think it will get better as I learn more. I'm still experimenting - for example I only had a bright yellow so it took me a couple of tries to mix paints that I was satisfied with for blonde hair (the mix I used was the yellow with some white added but thinking back maybe I should mix light brown in instead).

Also I stopped after the base paint job and went back to the forums to read samuraitrev's guide to washes and highlighting. When I made the wash I went with a burnt umber that was darker than everything on the zombie and watered it down but I should have added more water. It's hard for me to judge the volume of the water vs volume of paint.

I tried to use a darker green wash on zombie #1 but I didn't like how it looked on his shirt so I ended up adding some of the burnt umber wash over it.

Maybe I had the wrong impression. I thought you could use a wash on the whole figure. Are you supposed to used different washes over the different areas?

I then tried to do a little highlighting, mostly on zombie #2, using a lighter green on raised areas of the face and other exposed skin. I felt like my highlights were too dramatic though so I mitigated them a bit when I added the blood (which was a pretty fun part after all that work).

Also I didn't do any work on the bases until the end because I haven't found a satisfactory way to immobilize the figures while I paint them. I've been holding them by the base and painting so when the main figure was all done I still went back and added primer, paint, and varnish to the base.

So definitely time-consuming but I'm learning and having a lot of fun.

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
first zombies (continued) - goodcop2000 - 03-03-2012, 01:15 AM
RE: first zombies (continued) - goodcop2000 - 03-03-2012 05:14 AM
RE: first zombies (continued) - Emp - 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
RE: first zombies (continued) - Pred - 03-03-2012, 10:45 AM
RE: first zombies (continued) - vikinglad - 03-03-2012, 06:56 PM
RE: first zombies (continued) - Emp - 03-04-2012, 08:29 AM
RE: first zombies (continued) - vikinglad - 03-04-2012, 06:15 PM