Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
looking for good turn-based pc game
08-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Fantasy Wars and Fallout
An update from my earlier request for a good turn-based game. I found a couple of games to play.

First my wife gave me "Fantasy Wars" for my birthday - it's a turn-based adventure game featuring humans, orcs, goblins, and elves. I played through the tutorial and it kinda fun but the interface is a little quirky, specifically changing your point of view/angle of view is rather hard to control.

There is something neat about Fantasy Wars. If you pull back from the map and watch the action it shows large icons on the grid (like a giant orc or warrior). Then if you zoom in closer you see the actual platoon of orcs, humans, etc. And you can watch the combat in either format. I've enjoyed the small amount of time I've played Fantasy Wars but it hasn't captured my imagination.

Then the other day I came across a nice deal on a Fallout 3-pack: Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics (thanks to mqstout for suggesting Fallout). I loaded up Fallout and had to hunt down a user patch to fix some graphics issues but now it is playing great and I love it! The theme is very cool, the choices you make (shmooze, sneak, or fight, etc.) make a real difference in how the story goes and the combat is realistic (that is, resources are scarce and it's very easy to be killed by a group of bad guys or a large radioactive beast). It passed the test of a great game for me the other night when my wife woke up to go to work and I realized that it was 4:30 in the morning and I had played all night. Whoops...

Many of you out there are gamers and have already played Fallout but if not, pick it up now cheap!

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Fantasy Wars and Fallout - goodcop2000 - 08-17-2012 07:15 PM