Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
zombie RPG d&d style mechanics
05-29-2012, 08:51 AM
zombie RPG d&d style mechanics
Hey there peoples of the undead persuasion. Me and my friends here in OKC are pretty regular D&D players (like every sunday without fail unless there is a major holiday, although we did play on christmas day once). We are currently running a really fun Pathfinder campaign with no alignment restrictions. This is not what this post is about though.

After this current campaign, I will be DMing for the first time if I can get this game planned out. Right now I am just toying with the idea of running a table top game with a zombie apocalypse setting. I have a million and 1 ideas already but the big thing I havent really worked out is what system to use. I am leaning more and more towards using Pathfinder as a basis and converting it to a modern world as far as skills and weapon use. This would mean dropping all magic from the system and if we play a 1-20 campaign it will need some changes to leveling. For example, more ability score increases instead of one every four levels since there would be no magic items to increase stats.

I realize there are seemingly infinite changes to be made, but I have been talking to my seasoned DM friend who currently makes up a lot of homebrew and is trying to get a book published through paizo. So I will have plenty of help doing this but I thought I would poke around in this new found playground for other table top gamers who may have attempted this or may use another system already, like the obvious choice D20 modern. I like the system and will probably take the weapons use straight from that system. I do not like the character creation and leveling system and thats why I am thinking of converting Pathfinder melee content into the d20 modern game.

Also anyone who games regularly, what systems do you use. What type of characters do you like to play. I have always been a melee user until recently. I play tested a psion in our last campaign and had a blast. The current campaign most of us agreed to draw random class, race, and gender from a hat and I ended up with a male halfling witch. I thought I would hate it but we are using a bit of homebrew which includes detect alignment being altered so no one can immediately tell that I have been Extremely Chaotic Evil since the start. With this home brew in place I have caused so many shenanigans and been able to get away with it. Recently in game I got caught finally and talked my way into a life debt to the character I slighted the most by getting him to kill his own mother under the compulsion of my evil deity. My ass DM shifted my alignment to chaotic neutral because part of my life debt has been that i will be executed immediately if I am caught doing anything illegal. So i have been being all goody two shoes.

This post ended up being way longer than I initially intended so Im gonna stop here. Let me know what you think if you have the time, any tips and feedback are appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
zombie RPG d&d style mechanics - jimbal - 05-29-2012 08:51 AM