Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Horror Movie discussion: ZOMBIES
03-30-2009, 03:20 PM
RE: Horror Movie discussion: ZOMBIES
The zombie fairy dropped off some movies for me to watch, so I finally got to see the original DAWN OF THE DEAD.

It's no where near the slick stylized version the remake is, but I can see how it has maintained it's cult classic status.

I was really impressed by the actor Ken Foree, he just made a great zombie survivor. Also, I love all the things that are considered 'cliche' in zombie flicks nowadays were because of this movie. He (Foree) looked slightly familar, and as I checked him out on the internet, I see why. He was in the kinky and weird FROM BEYOND movie I recently watched.

It looks to me that the cast and crew had a blast making the movie, and things must have really clicked well.

I have always heard about Romero's propensity to make some sort of social commentary in his films, but never really understood it. I still don't claim to understand it properly, but whether intentionally or not, he sold the point of 'consumerism' making us into zombies.

The scenes with the zombies wandering the mall, and the 'muzak' playing are certainly making a comment. I enjoyed that.

The most interesting line in the movie, to me however, was when Francine gets this disgusting look on her face and says "what have we done to ourselves?" (or something to that effect). She realizes this as they insulate themselves with all the creature comforts of a home, while outside the real world is literally tearing itself apart. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is a deeper meaning there. Again, I'm not sure if Romero did this intentionally or it just sort of happened. Either way, I like it.

I also see on the internet that both Ken Foree, and the little maniacal SWAT guy (Roger?) made cameo's in the remake. I'm going to watch the remake again (my favorite zombie flick) with new eyes....maybe I can spot all the times that homage was paid to the original now.

Anyhow, I'm probably looking at this a bit too deeply, but I kinda crave more in depth discussion of these movies....hopefully somebody else will as well.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Horror Movie discussion: ZOMBIES - supervike - 03-30-2009 03:20 PM
question for supervike - goodcop2000 - 05-16-2014, 05:20 PM