Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Horror Movie discussion: ZOMBIES
04-10-2009, 10:23 AM
RE: Horror Movie discussion: ZOMBIES
supervike Wrote:I also find it interesting that Romero's three main protagonists in the movies (Night of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead) are strong black males. I'm not saying anything negative about it, I just find it as an interesting point. Movies of that era rarely did that.

The part of Ben in Night of the Living Dead was originally written as an angry truck driver, originally to be played by Rudy Ricci (he was the Biker on the CB in Dawn) but then they auditioned Duane Jones and thought he was perfect.

Everybody agreed that the character shouldn't be changed to make reference to Ben ethnicity or how it affects his ability to deal with the situation......everybody that is except Duane Jones! He felt that that it would expand his character and explain his anger throughout...he also said that he would probably be for it after he was called upon to "slug" Barbara, a white woman!

Romero said they all felt "No way, man. It isn't a problem" etc and they all felt they were (his words) "being really cool about it". Looking back he know feels that Jones was absolutely correct and it would have brought something extra to the character of Ben.

I think Romero has cast strong Black actors but the parts themselves are not necessarily written as "black". I have always liked this approach as opposed to say a director/writer like Spike Lee who has complained that black actors always play druggies, pimps or whores and then proceeds to write parts for black actors as druggies, pimps or whores.

Now, sv, you will have to watch Land of the Dead for Romero's next take on the strong black character!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Horror Movie discussion: ZOMBIES - zombie67 - 04-10-2009 10:23 AM
question for supervike - goodcop2000 - 05-16-2014, 05:20 PM