Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
There are no good zombie board games?
10-25-2012, 02:40 PM
RE: There are no good zombie board games?
While I am huge fan of Flying Frog, I have yet to play LNOE. So I can not comment on it per se, however I will say I think there are two different types of zombie gamers out there.

On one hand you have the shotgun wielding, sword swinging, hack and slash lovers who are primarily just looking at eliminating all threats in the game.

On the other are the people who just want to survive the apocalypse; resource gathering, base building, defense planning strategists. I fall into the latter category. Don't get me wrong, zombie stomping is awesome, but a little overplayed and I think that is what your buddy is referring to.

I think there are too many games designed around the first category. Play the offense, hunt 'em down, and put 'em back in their graves. But I don't see many of the second grouping. There was one pc game that was close (honestly forgot the name of it) where you could choose one of three places to fortify, and you needed to go out and salvage materials for your base, but the game was buggy, at least for me. I am looking for something to challenge me mentally. Which provides more fulfillment, wasting all your bullets on a swarm of 5 Z's, or carefully using your environment to trap/trick the Z's and save the ammo for a last effort escape? My preference would be for the latter.

The only hope I have is that Zpocalypse sounded like a resource gathering survival game. I can only hope that it really plays out that way (I pre-ordered, delivery this winter).

In summation, are there no good zombie games to play? Not necessarily, many of the hack/slash games out there are a lot of fun, but it is all in the eye of the beholder (Come on, no beholder emoticons?! Watchmen02). However, can the genre take a different stance on the subject and focus more on true survival, I think so.

W.J.

P.S. To fulfill my undying need for a beholder:

[Image: behokl.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: There are no good zombie board games? - Wasteland Jack - 10-25-2012 02:40 PM