Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The second coming of Ophelia
06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
RE: The second coming of Ophelia
(06-26-2013 05:51 PM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  Nobody loves flying frog secrets more than i do, but I'm not buying Ophelia as a latter-day Valeria.

For starters, I'm not seeing a physical resemblance. Their abilities are not that closely related, except for that heal a hit thing.

But what matters most is theme and story, and that's where the connection really falls apart for me.

Valeria loves the hunt too much to ever turn to the quit. And she's allergic to religion, so i can't see her joining a cloister. I don't think a vampire can quit being a vampire anyway.

I say it is not a sure thing until we see more cards of Ophelia. However, I do see the resemblance. But to be my own devil's advocate:
One could explain the "heal when kill" ability as her redemptive nature, in that she feels better when she is destroying the evil.
And what are the terrible things of her past? Who knows? It could be she was a nun at Widowcrest with the Priest...something to do with Sally's Mother, I think...I don't recall right now. Let me correlate more data for options.

However, for Valeria to give up the hunt? That happens all the time with fiction: the bad guy seeking redemption and surpressing darker urges. Valeria is shown as confronting the Suffian Crypt with a Brother right behind her.... Who knows what is in there? Enough for a Pharoxian vampire warrior to choose a different path?

I must say that usually the simplest answer is the best....but that isn't always the case (see Liliana) and Ophelia is 'strange'.

Messages In This Thread
The second coming of Ophelia - Pfr_Fate - 06-21-2013, 12:34 PM
RE: The second coming of Ophelia - LabRat - 06-24-2013, 09:48 PM
RE: The second coming of Ophelia - Pfr_Fate - 06-27-2013 12:28 PM