Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Officially Irritated With Flying Frog...
08-27-2015, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2015 11:26 PM by Raynor.)
RE: Officially Irritated With Flying Frog...
Last Night On Earth was my first modern day game and since then, I've played a lot more games I would consider technically better than what FFP offers. Most of all I think I've really gotten worn out by the Roll-to-move mechanic which is tied so heavily into the core nature of LNoE and aToE. I've had too many games where I roll nothing higher than a 2 over an entire night. Since discovering other alternative methods of game design I just don't like to put up with it as a core game mechanic if I don't have to anymore. That being said, FFP continues to offer incredible production value. They're almost in a class of their own when it comes to this. It's that production value that keeps me around.

I really don't understand why more developers don't grasp the importance of Good Strong Theme in a game. My neighbors have played literally hundreds of more games than I have and they got rid of all their FFP games a few years ago because they said they didn't enjoy playing them anymore because the mechanics weren't as good as all their euro games. But when we visit them, they pull out these games they swear by and next thing I know I'm playing a Shipping Dock Master clearing out parking lots and unloading incoming freight..... As long as I can murder zombies, punch nazis, and hunt ancient evil beasts, FFP holds me as a fan, because no one else does it better. It's really as simple as that to me.

Anyway, I guess what I'm driving at here is maybe you should consider why you initially played FFP's games. I've clearly had my frustrations with them but I argue with my wife too, and that doesn't change the reasons I got together with her to begin with. I think FFP does something quite special. They're going through a rough patch right now to be sure, but they still produce really solid content. Shadows of Brimstone is without a doubt in my Top 3 favorite Board games of theirs so far. With more expansions and more play time it might even move into the number 1 spot, as I feel it is technically far superior to their previous work.

As for being a collector, I never went coo coo for cocopuffs for their promos, but at one point I owned literally every product FFP had ever released. Nowadays I only keep up with a select number of their games.

And OD isn't joking about not having to pay 500 bucks for the whole shebang. I still haven't gotten past the first box to be honest. I loved it so much, that I've played it 3 times until we were all exhausted with it and we took a break. That's weeks-months of fun for like 75$ on coolstuffinc. Totally worth it. As I said before, I'm starting to feel like the kickstarter wasn't worth it. But the game certainly is.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Officially Irritated With Flying Frog... - Raynor - 08-27-2015 11:23 PM