Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Touch of Evil not seeing table time?
02-19-2009, 03:18 AM
RE: A Touch of Evil not seeing table time?
Agreed. I knew that was a problem right off...ah well. The wife hasn't refused to play again, so it's all good...=)

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I think the biggest affecting factor is that with AToE, there is very rarely a sense of impending doom. The Heroes are out to discover and take down the villain. That's about it. In LNoE, the theme is more: "OMFG! RUN!!" and/or "Hail to the king, baby!"

I think what might help AToE is having more tangible villains. The game very rarely, if ever calls for the Villain to be on the board at any given time. Thus no sense of interaction from the enemy. That was some of the motivation behind the Reaper villain I created. Try using the advanced rules for the Reaper. You might find it more engaging when Town Elders start dropping like popcorn in a movie theater.

For that matter, the setup rationale is fairly ambiguous. If you haven't already but are still looking to add some spice to AToE, check out some of the suggestions in the Variants section by some of the more active members (assuming you aren't one yourself) here on the Zombie Game forums. Some real good stuff in there!
Find all posts by this user
03-04-2009, 12:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2009 12:33 PM by Old Dwarf.)
I rather like the Villians limited appearance for me it
builds tension.I do get a sense of impending doom
from the game system(maybe its just the beerZombie03 ).

That whole investigate,prepare enconter minions
& the final battle are IMO very well done.It's what
let me to convert over my Arkham Horror stuff to
AToE System(I do have to update my Varient post
on this to the final version......of course I now have
Innsmouth to add when it comes out.

OD

PS-FS I like The Reaper

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
03-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Yeah I have to agree with OD on this one as well. I too enjoy the tension and suspense as to when the Big Bad is going to strike. I think it really helps dish out the flavour for the game.

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."
05-13-2009, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2009 03:10 PM by SovTech.)
Hmm... Well...

First of all, I really enjoy the idea behind A Touch of Evil. I like that it is a pvpvg game. When we play it, we play it as if it is a gentlemans wager who wins. "Haha sir Karl, It would seem that your silver shot is failing you. Tah!". I like it the most if we are 3 or 4 players, two is too little and if we play more than four it is too long waiting time. I also like how each villain has a great impact on the game, and changes the feel of the game a lot. I like the art, the map and the cards and especially the town elders is a good mechanism.

I know you are waiting for it, so here it comes...

But! There is a different feel between LNoE and AToE. While LNoE is heavily theme driven and almost like a movie, it is not quite the same with AToE. It is more random encounters with the card decks, which I think is a shame... It reminds me a little of Arkham Horror, which is even more a shame, since I believe AToE to be better than Arkham with more story and a better system.

Truth be told, I think that you can strategise more with LNoE, and that AToE is the "beer and pretzels" game...

I will invest in the upcoming expansions though and see if that changes my view of the game. :shy:

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
05-15-2009, 02:12 PM
I have actually played AToE much more than LNoE, but I like LN better.
The solo/coop aspect of Evil has made it more accessible on my table. I actually just played 2 games yesterday (one solo and one coop with my son).

LN is the better game, all around, imho and I rate it higher (although both get great marks!), there are a few (lame) reasons why it doesn't hit the table as frequently:

1) takes a bit longer
2) I don't care for the solo variant posted
3) I had the most fun when it was a ZP vs 3-4 other players...one ZP vs 1 person playing 3-4 heroes fell a tad flatter for me. Still good, but lacking something...

All in all, I cannot wait for AToE's expansion, this may help it catch up with LN...although then LN's stuff gets released...Mwuhahahahahahaaa!
05-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Killer Toad, I'd agree with that "beer&pretzels" comment regarding AToE.

I think that's fair. There's just too much luck involved with all the dice rolled, cards in each deck, etc.

It doesn't bother me; if you know going in that this isn't a brain-burning strategy game, and have fun with it, it's still a blast!
05-15-2009, 08:59 PM
I think with my group it has been mostly time. But I do find that my group does tend to want to play LNOE more so for the campy B-Movie cinematic feel and well the Zombies! ATOE I think will get much more play once the expansion(s) are released. I find that anytime new content is released for a game and people revisit it they most times have a better time and may play the game more if not for the fact that their is new content.

I still want to get my 3D version of this game started but when my players are not as interested it makes it hard to put the effort in. Who knows maybe if I do they might come back and I can woo them with it and they will have a new love for the game. But I would agree that these are two very different beasts and you have to approach them as such.

I love ATOE for its theme and ambiance. I appreciate what the Flying Froggers were doing with this one. And I look forward to playing it again when the expansion comes out.

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."