Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Advanced Ability Cards
01-07-2011, 09:45 AM
RE: Advanced Ability Cards
(01-06-2011 07:03 PM)Sarku Wrote:  PM soundgirl, Emp...

How long have you been on this site?!?! Geesh!!!
(I KID!!! I KID!!!) Watchmen02

I know I know Watchmen02
Didn't know Soundgirl was officialy a FFP worker though.
PM sent.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Has anyone played with these cards yet? From reading them I would say it may actually be more beneficial to the zombies. Although some of the hero abilities are strong. But not all of them thats for sure.
Find all posts by this user
02-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Yes, Zombies get ribrokenless real quick.
02-06-2011, 08:03 PM
The Zombie Abilities are much stronger than the Hero Abilities IMHO. Especially when The Zombie Player has a chance of Killing Student Hero's with 1 hit, ouch.

Mistrunner
Death is Only the Begining.
02-06-2011, 08:11 PM
To come back on this toping, i'm still hesitating to buy this few cards ; They seems cools ( well, not all, but some of them ), but are pretty expensives too.
Does anybody here have already tested them on different sessions, and have an experienced advice to give me ?
02-07-2011, 12:56 AM
I pretty much pick up just about any expansion FF has released -- I've always been happy with the material, and I like supporting quality games with an awesome crew (plus, they're local to me, so even better).

I really like the Advanced Abilities. They add an interesting flavor, and a fun preview taste of the next expansion that will apparently allow for characters to grow and gain experience. Is the price worth it? I suppose I look at it like going to the movies. My wife and I going to the movies together costs more than the expansion. We get more fun out of the expansion than a single trip to the movies most of the time.
02-07-2011, 01:54 AM
Gavin, I like the way you think. Here's hoping I can convince my wife that, seeing as how she's been complaining about my games since day one ;p
02-07-2011, 02:07 AM
Orguss, I've lucked out in that I married a geek-woman -- and she loves playing cooperative boardgames. (As half a set of twins, she definitely prefers being part of a team rather than playing competitively.) As a result, FF's games have been very popular around my house.

Other games that get a lot of play around my house include Betrayal at House on the Hill, Robo-Rally (one of those games my wife humors me on), and cooperative scenarios of Heroclix. I'm unfortunately never allowed to pick up the Dracula boardgame, after I played Dracula at a friends house and was declared a "bag of dicks" (and I was having so much fun!). Tabletop RPGs also get a lot of play around here.
02-10-2011, 06:59 AM
I have played several games with the Advanced Abilities and got a request from the other players to get advanced abilities for all the custom heroes I make. The cards are balanced, even though a Student can Potentially be killed in 1 hit, you just have to be aware that both sides get more powerful and plan accordingly.

Mistrunner
Death is Only the Begining.
05-31-2011, 04:32 PM
OK, for those who don't have the sheet, here are the rules for acquiring Advanced Abilities during the game:
  • For Hero players, you must have 3 experience points. An experience point is earned by killing at least one zombie during your hero turn. You cannot earn more than one experience point per turn, so killing three zombies in a single turn doesn't earn you the ability. Keep in mind also, that heroes have one additional advanced ability per character, so you can only get one and then that's it. You'll also note that heroes who have an easier time killing Zombies tend to have a detrimental aspect to their ability (The Sheriff, for example, can take an extra shot at a cost of the top five cards in the Hero Deck).
  • For Zombie players, you must kill a hero player. Once you've killed a hero, you get to draw a new ability at random (there are four).

I don't know if you get to apply these new abilities to all zombies if there is more than one zombie player or just the zombies that are under that player's control.

Also, from what I understand, you can start the game with some advanced abilities, but at a cost of dots for advanced rules (see Growing Hunger Expansion Rulebook for more details on the dot ratings). I don't know if there is a standard for this either, but I would say that advanced abilities for Zombies would have a dot rating of at least three per ability where a Hero player could have a lower dot rating, probably two for all heroes to start with their advanced abilities.

Even though Zombies have better abilities, they have a more difficult time of obtaining their advanced abilities. It is generally more difficult to kill off Heroes, at least from my experiences.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user