Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any Settlers of Cattan fans?
07-16-2012, 04:17 PM
RE: Any Settlers of Cattan fans?
Like PJON said, I enjoy Settlers of Catan, but oh-boy those dice ARE evil... actually, in LNoE I usually roll ones and twos all the time as well, but it is fun to watch the desperate look on my fellow heroes faces, as if I were one of those guys on Zombie movies which you KNOW from the begining they are going to be eaten =9
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
With all due respect, I think Settlers suck. The thing is, I'd really really like to enjoy this game. But I don't. That's why I can't help sharing my thoughts.

When this game first came out, I did play it a lot. It's supposed to be a game with elements of strategy. But the thing is, it's all about luck. Playing with +3 players there's always one who's going to be stuck with limited ressources with no chance of turning the tide. That just makes winning a total bore too. LNoE has strong elements of luck but nothing either side can't change. I know, the comparison is unfair since LNoE happens to be my own favorite.

If you want strategy I'd suggest Warlords III. An 8 player strategy game (Amiga platform) published like 20 years ago and it's still unchallenged. The Civilization series don't come close.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-16-2012, 07:29 PM
imho, it's really hard compairing a game like lnoe and steelers. one is a basic resource trade and long-thought slow strategy game like risk.. whereas lnoe is a fast paced, deeply developed game that can change every turn.

(07-16-2012 05:14 PM)scarydk Wrote:  With all due respect, I think Settlers suck. The thing is, I'd really really like to enjoy this game. But I don't. That's why I can't help sharing my thoughts.

When this game first came out, I did play it a lot. It's supposed to be a game with elements of strategy. But the thing is, it's all about luck. Playing with +3 players there's always one who's going to be stuck with limited ressources with no chance of turning the tide. That just makes winning a total bore too. LNoE has strong elements of luck but nothing either side can't change. I know, the comparison is unfair since LNoE happens to be my own favorite.

If you want strategy I'd suggest Warlords III. An 8 player strategy game (Amiga platform) published like 20 years ago and it's still unchallenged. The Civilization series don't come close.
07-16-2012, 07:58 PM
(07-16-2012 07:29 PM)soundguy Wrote:  imho, it's really hard compairing a game like lnoe and steelers. one is a basic resource trade and long-thought slow strategy game like risk.. whereas lnoe is a fast paced, deeply developed game that can change every turn.

I know. Couldn't help it as it has cost too much grief. The same thing can be said about Monopoly Watchmen02

Don't get me started.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-18-2012, 12:23 AM
(07-16-2012 01:33 PM)soundguy Wrote:  i like all the expansions except stone age and space farrers..
But... those aren't expansions, they're separate stand-alone games...

Settlers isn't a *great* game by any stretch of the imagination, but it does have its uses.

In particular, it's good for getting people unfamiliar with the nature of euro-style games to see that negotiation can be a powerful tactic. There's a reason it's often described as a 'gateway' game. Yes, it's flawed. But it's also not a difficult game to learn, and there's an important 'aha' moment in it.
07-18-2012, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2012 12:56 PM by soundguy.)
they are based upon the settlers original game.. etc.

conquest on pangea is another that reminds me of settlers..
they are based upon the settlers original game.. etc.

conquest on pangea is another that reminds me of settlers..
07-18-2012, 01:46 PM
(07-16-2012 05:14 PM)scarydk Wrote:  If you want strategy I'd suggest Warlords III. An 8 player strategy game (Amiga platform) published like 20 years ago and it's still unchallenged. The Civilization series don't come close.

LOL I've played Warlords III! Wow, that was a long time ago and indeed is a great game (although I never got the chance to play it again)!

But I disagree that Civ doesn't come close... At least Civ IV IMHO is a blast for those into this gaming genre...

Recently, I bought XCOM (UFO) from Steam, man... that game have consumed many, many hours of my life.
07-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Has anyone tried the histories rails and trails version of catan? I think the movement sounds interesting because it embodies the idea of manifest destiny during America's territorial expansion.
07-20-2012, 10:17 PM
havn't even heard of it
07-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Settlers of America: Trails to Rails
vhttp://www.catan.com/gamenews/235-settlers-of-america-trails-to-rails.html