Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any one enjoy Arkham Horror?
11-04-2012, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 08:09 PM by harlemsushi.)
RE: Any one enjoy Arkham Horror?
Thanks. I've made a ton of custom components that way and its great cause it really makes individual games unique. Additionally, how would you compare LNOE to Arkham Horror. I've played Arkham many times before but have yet to play LNOE and was curious about the mechanic.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2013, 10:46 AM
On the note of comparing gameplay, how would you compare Arkham Horror with Mansions of Madness? The sheer size and playtime required for Arkham Horror makes me hesitate, but Mansions of Madness seems a bit more accessible. Thoughts on this?
01-10-2013, 11:45 AM
AH is a co-op in MoM you play against an opponent so that's something to consider if you prefer one type
of play.AH can be Solo, MoM really can't be.

Set up time for both games takes awhile actual play time is shorter with MoM (but only by around a hour)
up to 8 people can play AH & MoM max is 5.

Both are great games the difference is more one's a stragetic co-op & the other a more tactical opponent game.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
01-10-2013, 02:16 PM
I enjoy games like HeroQuest and Mutant Chronicles which seem a bit similar to MoM in that you have one person playing against a team. Like LNOE, I suppose. I come from a roleplay background and I see the lone player as more of a storyteller than an oppontent. I quite enjoy taking that role or playing in a game where someone else does, so MoM would suit me I think. Thanks for the input, I think we'll begin with MoM and maybe try out AH later in the future.

"What is it about a zombie that appeals to me? I don't know. Maybe that it's just the most possible - I don't know - of all the supernatural entities."
- Scott Ian
01-11-2013, 12:57 AM
I've played Mansions of Madness with friends many times and it is a fun game, however in some stories the lack of combat makes it a bit on the boring side for me personally (I prefer the fighting over the story telling). But it's fun enough that i have purchased MoM along with some expansions and am eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Also quite interested in buying Arkham Horror seems to feature A LOT of cards in the base game but since it's roughly $70-80 i'll have to put off purchasing it for a while, but I love that it's 2-8 players, it looks like a great game to cater on those nights when you have a few too many friends. I've been doing a few test runs to try and balance LNOE with 6 heroes instead of 4, but so far no luck, each game would be too lopsided with either overpowered heroes or zombies.
01-14-2013, 07:00 AM
(01-11-2013 12:57 AM)SmokinBaraka Wrote:  .... (I prefer the fighting over the story telling).....

Also quite interested in buying Arkham Horror seems to feature A LOT of cards in the base game but since it's roughly $70-80 i'll have to put off purchasing it for a while, but I love that it's 2-8 players....

Actually Arkham Horror is for ONE to eight players- it's great as a solo game. There's also a good mix of fighting and story-telling.

A-H is my fav game ever, but with the addition of "The Coast" ATOE has climbed higher on the list than I'd have thought possible.

How could I ever compare my 2 favorite games? Arkham would've lost its luster by now were it not for the expansions- and now there are some pretty amazing fan-made expansions for it too. I'm glad there are expansions for ATOE for the same reason.

I'd like to do a comparison sometime of "The Innsmouth Horror" (which I think is the best A-H expansion, but also the toughest) and "The Coast", maybe a parallel review of both- other than the maritime theme (and the gargantuan amount of stuff they each add to their respective games) they really don't have much in common. The vibe is totally different, but I guess that's the point: Lovecraftian Horror is a world unto itself, supremely weird and not for everyone- the monsters in ATOE are mostly familiar faces from folklore and movies, so ATOE has a much lighter vibe to it.*

If you get A-H I'd wait a while before expanding it.

* to get overly philosophical, Lovecraft's stories are about an indifferent, overwhelming, or even downright hostile universe. Lovecraft's Mythos is not a very life-affirming place. ATOE's nothing like that: sure a couple Town Elders have turned evil but the world of Shadowbrook is basically a good place, and you're defending the good villagers against threats from without.