Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: What do you think about the cost of the NEW expansions
Too expensive
It's still worth the money
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Are the new expansions a rip off or worth it?
06-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Question Are the new expansions a rip off or worth it?
Hey everyone, now before I start this thread I should let you know that I am not a troll and this is a thread to discuss the pros and cons of the new LNoE expansion packs / content.

===================================================

I own both LNoE and Growing Hunger which are not only great games but come with a large variety of content but when I was looking into buying the next set of expansions I got a little confused with what I was actually going to get for my money.

Expansion pack 2: "Survival of the Fittest" sounds and looks like a full sized exp pack but after further investigation learned that you hardly get anything with it. Also around the same time "Hero Pack One" and "Zombies with Grave Weapons" were released which also don't have much content concidering the price that they ask.

If you were to combine the following packs together then you get the equivilent to the "Growing Hunger" Exp Pack
  • "Hero Pack One"
  • "Survival of the Fittest"
  • "Zombies with Grave Weapons"

However the price difference between Exp 1: "Growing Hunger" and Exp 2: "Survival of the Fittest" is MASSIVE.

£30 = LNoE
£30 = Growing Hunger
£71 = Survival of the Fittest + Hero Pack One + Zombies with Grave Weapons

Thats more than DOUBLE the price of Growing Hunger for the same amount of content...

I maybe wrong about this since I don't have the exp 2 set but would like to discuss the pros and cons with the community.

The other thing I would like to discuss is the "Store Exclusive Scenarios"
  • "Stock Up"
  • "Zombie Pillage"
  • "It Fell From the Sky"
  • "Revenge of the Dead"

Now these are all listed as $10 (£6.09) so all together thats $40 (£24.36) and that doesn't include any P+P or even Import TAX + possible Customs charges.

So for me to buy these it would cost me the same or even cost me more than for me to buy LNoE itself ???

And the one thing that really bites is the fact that some of the scenarios arn't even on printed board like all the others are. See here for more

What I would like to see (But probably won't happen)

1) Combine "Survival of the Fittest + Hero Pack One + Zombies with Grave Weapons" into one complete expansion pack and charge the same amount as the others, so it costs £30 instead or £71. Or at least a REASONABLE amount for the content.

2) Create a "Supplement Pack" which contains:
  • "Stock Up"
  • "Zombie Pillage"
  • "It Fell From the Sky"
  • "Revenge of the Dead"
  • "Advanced Abilities"
Add some NEW L-shape pieces and maybe even a new dual-sided center piece for a change.

Also include the website content scenarios on printed card:
  • "Run For It!"
  • "We've Got To Go Back!"
  • "All Hallows Eve"
  • "All Hallows Eve 2: The Ritual"

Instead of a game manual you can include a printed book of ALL the game scenarios in full detail. So that way you can have a printed card of "All Hallows Eve 2: The Ritual" with the basic concept on it and the full rules in the book (like the version you download from the site).

On these forums somewhere theres also a nicely made print of all the game scenarios which are numbered so that you can use a dice to randomise what gametype you are going to play - That would be a good adition to the pack.

Looking at it the "Supplement Pack" could be quite big so it might be worth charging £40 instead of £30 especially if it came with new board pieces.

I know theres an aweful lot there to read and I suppose it could have been split up into multiple threads but since the main topic is COST for CONTENT I think that it would be best to keep it all together.

So let me know what you guys think about all or some of the above Zombie17
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2011, 02:29 PM
RE: Are the new expansions a rip off or worth it?
this thread made me go back and look at how much money i have spent on this game, and honestly it is a lot to have dropped on a board game.... that being said i do not regret one penny of it, i have spent more hours playing this game then any other, its one of the few games that i have that never seems to get put away, it is almost a permanent fixture on my table. while all the expansions are great to have some are more worth the money than the others......

survival of the fittest is definitely worth the money, it adds so many new elements to the game, the survival decks and grave weapons make things so much more interesting.

hero pack one is pretty decent i would still say its worth the money just because of the new heroes, Jade and victor have come to be 2 favorites in my gaming group.

zombies with grave weapons while it is nice to have the figures with the weapons so you aren't dragging the tile around, its still not that great overall :S its is one of the few that i would not have bought, it just so happened that i managed to win it on this site...

as for the store scenarios, i think they were worth just to have the complete set, i have had a lot of fun with them. my favorite is revenge of the dead, it seems to always come down to the wire and it is one of the few scenarios that the humans are actually wary of the zombies.

Can't save the world??... then prepare for its end.
06-06-2011, 02:55 PM
I was a lot like you when SotF, HP1 and ZwGW came out but I bought them all in the end. As much as it looks like they are all part of the same set, SotF can be played without HP1 or ZwGW, it's up to you whether you want more Heroes or not. As for the Grave Weapons, I suppose you use the counters to represent Zombie Heroes, or have you made your own ZH minis, so you could just use the counters for Grave Weapons.

Also, I am assuming you are also from the UK, like myself, can I suggest if you want to buy them go to IGUK. All three sets are priced at £19.39 delivered, so a total of £58.17 not £71.

As for the web scenarios, they came out over a few years so the cost would have been spread. If you do decide to go ahead and buy all four, can I suggest you make four individual purchases on the webstore and then drop FFP a line to make sure they keep them separate. This way you wont be in any danger of falling foul of UK customs. I have done it many times and FFP have never let me down.

Even saying the above, I still maintain that I would prefer FFP to keep to the large box, extra map pieces etc. type expansions as opposed to the small box ones. I still haven't bought HP1 for AtoE and I am not sure I ever will.
06-06-2011, 03:03 PM
I do believe they should have bundled together and sold as one package at the GH price level. You'll find some posts from around that time that people were quite upset with their decision to split them up (especially the Grave Weapon zombies not being just sculpts but also having new rules).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I like the FFP games and have most of them but I'm not a hard core board gamer and just can't justify the costs for the later expansions.

I'd love to get them and even though I have the money I just can't knowing how expensive they are.

If FFP made the 2 suggested value packs then I would buy them in an instant and I'm sure that a ton of other fans ( except maybe for the hard core followers) would snap them up in an instant knowing just how good LNoE is.

I've come close to buying Hero pack 1 a few times but £20 for 4 grey small models plus card just doesn't add up to good value to me. I mean hell its over half way to getting LNoE itself which definately comes with more than 4 plastic models...

Yep I'm from the UK and I think i've gotten a few items from IGUK.

FFP Games I've got:
  • A Touch of Evil
  • Last Night on Earth
  • LNoE: Growing Hunger
  • Conquest of Planet Earth
  • Fortune & Glory - when it comes out
06-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Hero Pack 1 and SotF are the ones that I bough, and I'd say I'm fairly happy with them.

SotF does comes with a lot, and I was definitely not underwhelmed by it.

Hero Pack 1 was slightly underwhelming, but I liked getting new characters, so I was really happy with that.

However, with how robust the original game is and Growing Hunger, these packs definitely seem lackluster. The Zombies with Grave Weapons is basically inexcusable; it should have had more unique cards in it.

But yea, I feel that there could be a way to add some more cards to the packs to make them worth it. I honestly would not have minded if the there were just more copies of original cards in these packs. Having 5 more Shambles and 5 more Revolvers (obviously not that, but you get the idea) would have been a nice addition to the Zombie Pack which would have given me at least SOME incentive to buy it.
06-06-2011, 10:49 PM
A big selling point for me was the fact that LNoE and Growing hunger both have video reviews so you can see exactly what you are getting.

However with SotF I couldn't find anything, maybe someone on here should make one XD
06-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Growing Humger is the only one I could justify. The rest are just too small for the price. I may get SotF based on these posts, but it doesn;t really feel like a "must own" to me. If they released the value pack, with HP1, ZwGW, and SOTF for GH price, it would be much more tempting. HP1 should be $12.00, like a HeroScape expansion.
06-07-2011, 07:26 PM
I have a few of the web exclusives on order as we speak, so I will let you know my opinions once everything arrives and our group has a chance to try it all out.
06-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I own everything LNEO related.
Now that this thread started it did get me thinking on how much money I spent in FFP so far...and it is quite alot.
But I was on LNEO from the moment it got released so the cost was spread out so that doesn't bother me that much.
In the beginning you only could order from the FFP shop, if you asked gamestores here about LNEO they were like "wha??"

So shipping and taxes made it even more expensive. Nowadays I shop around. Amazon.co.uk offer free shipping on the FFP games so that is good.
Nowadays FFP gets more popular so you can get the games cheaper then in their store (if you add shipping and taxes)

What do I regret buying?
uhm...well I must say that I was dissapointed in ZWGW, I expected more then just some figures. More cards would have been nice and like ZombieJ said, you could use your own figures. But that means also coughing up extra cash...and for someone who is not into the hobby of painting and playing with mini's (topicstarter) that comes again at a cost.
I own several custom zombies and knowing what I know now I would not have bought the ZWGW pack and just searched the web for cooler figures.

I love the hero pack, more heroes to choose from is always cool.
Webscenarios I do feel a should have their scenario's on cardboard (like the other scenario's)
The advanced abilities cards I found a little dissapointing to. A great idea but not realy worth the effort and a little expensive for what you get.

SOTF is a must have I think. It add's so much more to the game. I just played it once (lack of time to get trough the rules and even play the game) but it does add alot.
With the survival decks you do get a complete different type of game. Heroes get more tricks up their sleaves I think.
And the zombies can get very nasty with their weapons. The baricades and the sewer gives the game a new dimension.
So in conclusio of SOTF, it was worth the money.

And yup...the way SOTF, Hero Pack 1 and ZWGW came out...well they better opted for another big box expansion instead of 3 smaller boxes.
The reason they did not do that is unknown to me. Maybe someone from the FFP team could clarify on this? Soundgirl perhaps?

All in all I'm happy with what FFP provides but I did decide to not just go "WOW, something new from FFP....MUST BUY! NOW!" anymore because they tend to end up in my closet here for several months before they get so see playtime.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user