Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Base game vs Timber, new players
12-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Base game vs Timber, new players
Hey all, I have a question for the more experienced players here. I have a gaming group that wants to try lnoe. My question is, do I purchase the base game, or the timber stand alone? I may buy more in the future, but that's not for sure yet. This decision should be based solely on gameplay, not "buy the base game because its part 1 of the story." Thanks for any input in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2013, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 09:23 PM by mqstout.)
RE: Base game vs Timber, new players
If you're just starting with it, I find still the original base game the best. Why? Because it has a couple of the fewest-moving-parts scenarios and fewer tempting advanced rules to lure you into using them right away.

That said, TP does streamline the writing of the rules a little bit (and brings one of the previously-scenario-specific-and-often-mis-understood optional rules and make it part of every game). If you can't find LNOE easily enough, go for TP and just train yourself to hold back on the advanced elements longer.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I agree with mqstout. I'm always playing with new people, so I only bothered to pick up the base game and the Growing Hunger expansion. I rarely use the grave dead from GH, I just really like those exploration markers and the extra heroes. Added the most depth I could without complicating the rules.
12-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Of course, you can get the TP rule book PDF (a free download) and read the "differences from original LNOE" section and adopt the reworded rules from the get-go.
12-15-2013, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 01:52 AM by samuraitrev.)
If I was just starting out with LNoE I would go for the base game. The scenarios are straight forward and the rule set is beginner friendly.
Go for it!
12-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Base game for sure it's much easier to learn than the new rule additions of timber peak
12-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Start with the base game. There is an evolution of the rules that is best understood if you start at the beginning. And aside from the "story line" you will appreciate the evolution of game play as well if you start at the beginning.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
12-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I'd go with ATOEtalGeek on this one. I think the learning curve and story of the game works best from LNoE upwards. Good place to start. An believe me when you've played it you'll be itching to get your hands on all the extras as well.......
12-16-2013, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 01:49 PM by LSD.)
I feel the opposite. If I had to start over I would go with Timber peak based on sure balance and options. The player decks are more streamlined and the scenarios feel more balanced. Plus the expirence system is a great addition. I feel that the growing hunger expansion is needed with the base game or it feels lacking. Plus timber peak is more aggressive and can result in shorter sessions.
12-16-2013, 01:58 PM
I go with the majority. TP is a bit more challenging than the basic game imo.