Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Big Secret
09-01-2009, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2009 04:59 PM by SPARTAN VI.)
RE: Big Secret
BigDeano Wrote:This is why there have been no new online scenario's in a while. They thought it be better if they put them all in a book. I read somewhere the book has a section were you can create your own scenario's.

Don't need no stinkin' book to make our own scenarios, as we all know. Watchmen02 But even then, a couple people in my group are reluctant to try custom scenarios.. more official scenarios would kick ass.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2009, 02:48 AM
SPARTAN VI Wrote:Don't need no stinkin' book to make our own scenarios, as we all know. Watchmen02 But even then, a couple people in my group are reluctant to try custom scenarios.. more official scenarios would kick ass.

That's true, and it's too bad in a way. There are some great custom scenarios out there... in concept, at least. I enjoy reading them when people post them, but I'll admit that I feel reluctant to spend the time to try them out when I don't know how well they really work. And just about every time I play the game someone new is involved, so I'm not really eager to introduce someone to the game using a fan scenario that may or may not work that well. I'm sure FFP has a bunch of official LNOE scenarios in the can that haven't been released, but it would also be cool if they've tried out some of the fan scenarios and include a few of their favorites in the Scenario Book (whenever that comes out).

I seem to recall reading about this Scenario Book quite a while ago... I think they said that it would include different scenarios that would make some use of all of the extra counters, and also some solitaire scenarios and other things. I'm really hoping there's an official scenario created that involves some kind of politics or hidden agenda among the Hero players, where one of them is still fighting against the zombies to an extent, but has their own victory condition that puts them at odds with the other Heroes, or they might try to head out of town on their own, or something like that. It's a fairly common element of zombie/horror movies that LNOE doesn't really cover... yet.

Another thing that I think might be nice for a future expansion would be some new center boards, or at least one new one, double-sided. We have the town center and manor house, but I think there could be some more variation there, and some new scenarios built around that. Also, either some new side boards or perhaps just some new building pieces that you could place over existing building pieces, to mix things up a bit. Or maybe a "second story" or "roof" piece that is placed off the board to indicate a roof for a certain building, where you could go up and shoot at zombies at an advantage, but run the risk of getting trapped up there. There was a fan scenario on BGG that used that idea of shooting from rooftops, and it sounded like it could be a very cool addition to the game (but again, without having it already tested and deemed "official", I'd be reluctant to try it).

Anyway, we'll have enough to chew on soon enough with SOTF, and I'm sure a lot of these ideas will end up in the game sooner or later with future expansions and scenarios. But of course, I want them NOW!! Zombie14P
09-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Some nice ideas there I'd like to see. Can't wait for Halloween and all the new expansions. I haven't got the game that long and I've just ordered the online supplements. So a whole lot of gaming this Halloween.
09-27-2009, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2009 05:20 PM by BigDeano.)
No if it sounds good I'll give it a go.
09-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Ryuk Wrote:
Grudunza Wrote:
SPARTAN VI Wrote:a couple people in my group are reluctant to try custom scenarios.
I feel reluctant to spend the time to try them out when I don't know how well they really work.
Is this how most people feel about home-brewed senarios?

I don't play LNOE enough to have gotten through all the official scenarios, myself...much less felt the need to start busting out homemades.

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Ryuk Wrote:
Grudunza Wrote:
SPARTAN VI Wrote:a couple people in my group are reluctant to try custom scenarios.
I feel reluctant to spend the time to try them out when I don't know how well they really work.
Is this how most people feel about home-brewed senarios?

Keep in mind what I added... that when I play the game there's usually somebody new involved. I just don't like the idea of playing something that is untested when new players are involved. If I was playing this regularly with the same tight knit group, I would definitely want to try some of the fan scenarios. Actually, if there are fan scenarios that have corroborating playtests, where several different people have said "yeah, it works really well", then I'd probably be willing to throw it into any game if it sounded cool enough. Problem is that most of the custom scenarios I've read about have several replies of people saying "That sounds great! I'll have to try it!" but then there are no replies of people having actually tried it to know whether it really worked well or not.

Any recommendations for good custom scenarios that you've played?