Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BitF: Champions Count for Zombie Phase 3 ?
03-06-2014, 06:30 PM
RE: BitF: Champions Count for Zombie Phase 3 ?
Dynamite/police shotgun for my one off
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2015, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 09:53 PM by jeffd1830.)
Looking at the sheet from the "Radioactive Grave Dead Game Supplement" I find this statement:

"Grave dead do *not* count toward your number of Zombies on the board when rolling to Spawn." (emphasis added)

But when I look on page 5 of Growing Hunger Rulebook, it says:

"Grave dead *do* count toward the number of Zombies you have on the board when rolling to Spawn." (emphasis added)

So are one of these statements in error, or did the rule change at some point?

Edit: I just realized that you really can't count Grave Dead, Radioactive Grave Dead, or Plague Carriers when rolling to see if you will Spawn, because if there are two Zombie Players there would be no indicator as to which player they belong to. You *can* count Zombie Heroes since the Hero card becomes captured and has a specific identity. And you can count Grave Weapons because they specifically belong to one Zombie Player as well. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on this?
03-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Ok, I've been scouring the rules for this, and the closest I can come in any official rules is from IFoS. It says:

"If there are two Martian Players, then each of them should roll only 1 D6 and are trying to roll higher than the number of Martian Packs on the board that contain Martians that they control (Martians of their color and the Zard Beast if it is in play and they control him this turn)."

That would seem to imply (rather un-intuitively in my opinion) that Grave Dead, Radioactive Grave Dead, and Plague Carriers DO count when rolling to see if you will Spawn, but only "if you control them this turn" (on odd numbered turns, or on even numbered, depending on which color of zombie you are.)

I'd love to hear someone else's understanding of this.
03-24-2015, 09:32 PM
This has come up a few times and will continue to do so.

Every Single Zombie on The Board counts as a figure when Rolling to Spawn
This includes Normal Zombies, Zombie Heroes, Plague Zombies, Grave Dead and Zombie Champions.

You can have more than 14 Zombies on the board.
Let's say you have 14 normal Zombies (some of them may have got Grave Weapons but 14 none the less) all on the board.

You can still have Zombie Champions, Zombie Heroes, Plague Carriers and Grave Dead Zombies on the board too. (They have nothing to do with your Zombie Pool)

I hope this picture can tell more than words

Here's some words from the maker of the game Jason C. Hill from boardgame geek

Zombie Pool
Normally you only have 14 Zombies in your Zombie Pool. That means you cannot have more than those 14 normal Zombies on the board, because your pool would be empty. If you have Zombie Heroes, Plague Carriers, Grave Dead, etc. on the board; these are in addition to Zombies from your Zombie Pool.
Keep in mind that when rolling to spawn, you still count ALL of your Zombies on the board (including Zombie Heroes, etc) and must roll over this number to bring more on from your Zombie Pool (If you already have 12 or more on the board, you cannot spawn by the normal means, you would have to have a special card to bring on more Zombies from you pool).
As for the Plague Carriers Scenario, it says on the Scenario Card itself, "Plague Carriers are never returned to the Zombie Pool and do not count toward the number of Zombies on the board for rolling to spawn.".
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2239276#2239276

To clarify further, when using Grave Dead, you CAN have more than your 14 on the board at one time (because they are from different Pools - The Zombie Pool has 14 models and the Grave Dead Pool has 7 models).
On the actual board, all Zombies only count as a single model ( for rolling to Spawn etc.) Just count up the number of actual models (be they normal, Grave Dead, Zombie Heroes etc).
Remember that Grave Dead models are one use only, and when killed are removed from the game.
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2328797#2328797

The 'no more than 14 Zombies' is in reference to having 14 Zombies in your Zombie Pool. Zombie Heroes and specialty Zombies (such as Grave Dead from the Growing Hunger expansion) do NOT count against this limit.
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/3665337#3665337

Hope this helps if it doesn't I give upZombie17Zombie17Zombie17
04-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Presumably the Lost in the Woods scenario from BitF is an exception - with the Zombie player strarting with 3D6 (D6 +2 for two zombie players) and then going back down to a pool of 14 as normal as zombies are killed.
04-29-2015, 04:13 AM
(03-24-2015 09:32 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  This has come up a few times and will continue to do so.

Every Single Zombie on The Board counts as a figure when Rolling to Spawn
This includes Normal Zombies, Zombie Heroes, Plague Zombies, Grave Dead and Zombie Champions.

You can have more than 14 Zombies on the board.
Let's say you have 14 normal Zombies (some of them may have got Grave Weapons but 14 none the less) all on the board.

You can still have Zombie Champions, Zombie Heroes, Plague Carriers and Grave Dead Zombies on the board too. (They have nothing to do with your Zombie Pool)

I hope this picture can tell more than words

Here's some words from the maker of the game Jason C. Hill from boardgame geek

Zombie Pool
Normally you only have 14 Zombies in your Zombie Pool. That means you cannot have more than those 14 normal Zombies on the board, because your pool would be empty. If you have Zombie Heroes, Plague Carriers, Grave Dead, etc. on the board; these are in addition to Zombies from your Zombie Pool.
Keep in mind that when rolling to spawn, you still count ALL of your Zombies on the board (including Zombie Heroes, etc) and must roll over this number to bring more on from your Zombie Pool (If you already have 12 or more on the board, you cannot spawn by the normal means, you would have to have a special card to bring on more Zombies from you pool).
As for the Plague Carriers Scenario, it says on the Scenario Card itself, "Plague Carriers are never returned to the Zombie Pool and do not count toward the number of Zombies on the board for rolling to spawn.".
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2239276#2239276

To clarify further, when using Grave Dead, you CAN have more than your 14 on the board at one time (because they are from different Pools - The Zombie Pool has 14 models and the Grave Dead Pool has 7 models).
On the actual board, all Zombies only count as a single model ( for rolling to Spawn etc.) Just count up the number of actual models (be they normal, Grave Dead, Zombie Heroes etc).
Remember that Grave Dead models are one use only, and when killed are removed from the game.
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2328797#2328797

The 'no more than 14 Zombies' is in reference to having 14 Zombies in your Zombie Pool. Zombie Heroes and specialty Zombies (such as Grave Dead from the Growing Hunger expansion) do NOT count against this limit.
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/3665337#3665337

Hope this helps if it doesn't I give upZombie17Zombie17Zombie17

samuraitrev,

Can you venture to explain how all this works in the context of a game where there are two Zombie players? (I realize most people think that isn't the ideal way to play, but I still think it is important to understand.)

Specifically which Zombie Heroes, Plague Zombies, Grave Dead and Zombie Champions do you count when checking to spawn when you are the "brown zombie player" and which when you are the "green zombie player"?

Thanks!