Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Card Balance Experiment
04-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Card Balance Experiment
Posted also to boardgamegeek, but want to get observations

Wondering...when FFP releases promos and such, they make it a point to talk about how the cards "balance" one another. In an effort to reduce my deck size as a new player a bit (150+ cards each side) to maybe 100-120, was thinking how to filter out without disrupting game balance. Which got me thinking even more on this;

Has anyone ever given thought to doing a balance measure Heroes to Zombies card to card?

I would think you would have to stay within sets and expansions as a general guideline. Perhaps the other trick is to look at how FFP aligns balance with promo cards and the supplements, and try to discern the logic.

This would be very interesting to put together. Sadly, as a person who has played only twice, I am not the candidate!

Feedback welcomed!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2013, 05:19 PM
RE: Card Balance Experiment
I believe this would be a tremendous amount of work for the person involved and it would be open to debate due to the disagreements on what cards balance what. I mean its hard to relate a shamble to a can of gasoline. You know what I mean? Anyways I can see your want to decrease deck size but there is a correct ratio of cards in the deck to allow for it to be an even game even with a 150 card deck. Trust me blood in the forest will add another 50+ per deck so it's seems feeble to fight the inevitable.
Find all posts by this user
04-16-2013, 06:06 PM
RE: Card Balance Experiment
This will lead to a lot of issues. The easiest way to reduce your deck is to remove an expansion or two. These guys have spent lord knows how many hours figuring the specifics of each card and how it impacts the whole game. What is the main goal of thinning your deck? Are you not getting certain card draws? A lot of issues could be associated with shuffling. The decks come "clumped" and it gets worse when they're broken up and mixed in before a shuffle.. In MTG thats how most people got the infamous "MANA CLUMP". There doesn't seem to be a direct link between Hero Cards and Zombie Cards that I can tell, like Alderdust said a Shamble doesn't equal any specific Hero Card. Its just an ability that probably equals a value set by FFP and they create a Hero Card or adjust the number of a certain card to offset the value back to 0. It would take a whole lot of time and brain power to break down each card and assign a value to it, as much as we all love the game and enjoy making our own stuff I think J Hill and crew hold the "keys" to the underlying dynamic that really makes the engine run.

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user