Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Comeback mechanics
02-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Comeback mechanics
Many times when playing LNOE with my friends, we'd come across situations where the game becomes a no-win situation for a side from several turns away and no one feels like completing the game to its end when the outcome is certain.

Because of that I want to implement house rules that would come into play at the start of the zombie turn when the sun tracker reaches 5 that would encourage players of both sides to keep going until the very end without making it so that the last five turns are the only ones that matter.

Here's just some ideas I've been thinking of. I'd like to know what you think. Note that I'm not planning on using everything listed here, I'm just tossing ideas about before I decide which ones would be fair.

Heroes
• Can draw two cards when searching in a building and can search outdoors for one card.
• Can move AND search during the move/search step, but only in that order.
• Heroes roll an extra fight dice.

Zombies
• Each Zombie player can discard up to two cards before drawing instead of one.
• Each Zombie can move two spaces per turn instead of one & Zombie Heroes roll d6 for movement.
• Zombie Players are allowed to split zombies for heroes to fight instead of Hero Players

Something else to consider is that I might want to use different comeback rules and even times to implement the rules for different scenarios, like maybe there should be more fight related perks for scenarios involving killing zombies.

If you guys have any ideas, I'd love to see them as well. Bonus points if there's some thematic relationship to the implementation of the rules, such as Heroes getting adrenaline rush as they try to meet their objective on time or Zombies getting more ferocious as the sun goes down.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2012, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2012 07:10 PM by vikinglad.)
RE: Comeback mechanics
Cool idea, but I feel like the game is already very balanced, so I am reluctant to add any gameplay mechanics to make the endgame more interesting. Instead, we developed different levels of victory for both sides. For example, in "Escape in the Truck," winning with two Heroes at the truck is a minor hero victory, 3 heroes is a standard victory, and 4 heroes is ultimate victory. For the zeds, it is a minor victory to keep the heroes from winning, standard to also kill 3 heroes, and ultimate to win by killing 4 heroes. This keeps it interesting because, even if losing, you can still destroy the glory of the ultimate victory from your opponent, which can still be quite satisfying. Zombie17
02-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi. I play lots of games. If im losing a game, well....that means im losing.
If im winning, well that means i did well.

As a Zombie player, that game is never over for me. If it takes the last turn for me to take a bite of you. Make you use your last bullet, run out of medical kits, im ok with that.

Yes, i have been in those games where I know im am not going to win. Being at the last few turns of a game and I draw They've Taken over. I roll the Hospital and send all of my Zombies in. Knowing they will never reach the battle in time. Hey,lets quit now and start again Watchmen02

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
02-08-2012, 11:55 PM
I'm like you PJ.

If I'm zombies, you haven't lost until the end of the game, if you're heros and you've got no way of actually winning the game, go out with a bang like a hero should and take down as many zeds as you can, laughing maniacally the whole time Insane21
02-09-2012, 01:55 AM
(02-08-2012 11:55 PM)thegep Wrote:  If I'm zombies, you haven't lost until the end of the game, if you're heros and you've got no way of actually winning the game, go out with a bang like a hero should and take down as many zeds as you can, laughing maniacally the whole time Insane21

Exactly. This is the type of mindset I think having multiple levels of victory reinforces.
02-10-2012, 01:22 AM
(02-08-2012 01:17 PM)Dirigere Wrote:  • Zombie Players are allowed to split zombies for heroes to fight instead of Hero Players

But they would still have to be split in equal parts unless there's more Zeds on a space than Heroes. Then I can see where this would apply.

Besides, the fun part of the Heroes is the last stand they can make if it's obvious they can't win. Just group all the Heroes together for the onslaught of Zombies. The endgame usually results in an epic battle.
The objective for the Senario is really just a reason to play to keep it fresh. But in the end, it's about the adventure itself. Like the end of the Dawn of the Dead Remake, they go all that way just to get overwhelmed at the end. It's hardly ever a happy ending. But it's sure hella fun to try.
02-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Oh wow, I'm impressed. You guys think exactly like I do! I guess I just need to convince my friends to think the same way so we can actually see the final turn for once.
02-17-2012, 01:06 AM
dont give up!! in many games i've played. there is a point where a side thought they're losing, but they stick it out till near the end and actually win. you cannot be certain until you go all out haha.

Please... I'm adorable!!
03-02-2012, 03:16 PM
(02-08-2012 07:08 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  Cool idea, but I feel like the game is already very balanced, so I am reluctant to add any gameplay mechanics to make the endgame more interesting. Instead, we developed different levels of victory for both sides. For example, in "Escape in the Truck," winning with two Heroes at the truck is a minor hero victory, 3 heroes is a standard victory, and 4 heroes is ultimate victory. For the zeds, it is a minor victory to keep the heroes from winning, standard to also kill 3 heroes, and ultimate to win by killing 4 heroes. This keeps it interesting because, even if losing, you can still destroy the glory of the ultimate victory from your opponent, which can still be quite satisfying. Zombie17

I like this idea, i think i may use this next time i play. I would just tweak one thing to make my day a little better (especially if i have a lot of time on my hands). I would make it into a point system using the criteria that vikinglad said ultimate victory would be 3 points, 2 for standard and 1 for minor and i would play 3 rounds all different scenarios and which ever team had the most points at the end wins. Hopefully this will halt my friends from playing the 'CheckMate' card and we can continue playing til the end.

PMA- Every day I'm alive is the best day of my life.
03-03-2012, 05:05 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 05:06 AM by Darth Trey.)
Man it always comes down to the last turn for us! Except escape in the truck. Lame. We'll keep on fighting to the end! Its all about finishing the movie man! Even if you think you know who will win... Surprise! Twist ending! Zombies kill everyone (4) and win it with second to spare!
Lots of !!!!!! Sorry just got a little excited!

Through victory my chains are broken.