Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Creating new boards
04-28-2010, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2010 11:08 AM by Brichs.)
Creating new boards
Hey all.

I've been wanting to do some custom boards for this game for a while. Now I'm going to do something about it.

I can't decide if I want to do "just" more L-boards, or some boards that would be as an extra border around the existing L-boards.

Now I just need some ideas for buildings. I already have some ideas:

The old Widowcrest Asylum (mentioned in Becky's desciption on the Flying Frog Wiki)
A residential area. These people need to live someplace, right?
Maybe a sports-area. Basketballcourt, batting cages, an indoor swimming pool, tennis court and the like.

But I need more ideas, if I'm going to add a new layer all across the board.

I also need ideas for areas like the cornfield: Areas in which there's special rules.
I'm thinking that for the swimming pool, zombies cannot exit once they're in it, but the heroes must subtract two from their movement, and can be pulled in by the zombies (think Zombie Hunger, but the other way around)

So...please help me with some ideas.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2010, 04:38 PM
RE: Creating new boards
Why not a comic book store LOL us gamers live fer a zombie invasion

Really cardio is the first rule .....I am so dead.
06-04-2010, 04:30 AM
I was doing something very similar. I ordered a second set of boards from FlyingFrog because mine were slightly damaged by heavy dice!
However you're idea to add existing boards to the game made me thing of a secret room. It would attach to the already in play board and maybe it would only be discovered on a roll of 6 for movement. granting the hero 3 immediate hero cards. NO discards. Hmmm what do you think?
06-06-2010, 08:05 AM
First, I started another thread about grid maps, so I won't repeat that here....

Also, what I would do is get a stack of index cards and some tokens, and have a die-roll chance to "reassign" the identity of some of the less-important buildings. The token would show that the building is different, and the index card would describe the new building.

So what does this town need:
-- A fast-food restaurant, or diner. "They always screw you in the drive-thru...."
-- A library
-- A water tower (only useful if you can climb it, or knock it over with the truck)
-- A funeral home, heheh...
-- A grocery store or department store
-- A strip mall with two or more small stores
-- A small schoolhouse
-- A park, forested area, or fenced-off pasture
06-06-2010, 05:24 PM
The library, grocery store, and diner are all in Growing Hunger (I think that's their expansion, anyway). But the fast-food restaurant, water tower, funeral home, department store, strip mall, school house, and park are all great ideas.
07-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Does any one have any software recommendations for making custom boards. The cheaper (free) the better.

Really cardio is the first rule .....I am so dead.
11-25-2010, 03:46 AM
(07-11-2010 07:37 AM)mondragon Wrote:  Does any one have any software recommendations for making custom boards. The cheaper (free) the better.
Use Gimp free download off of cnet or search on google, second use chipboard medium weight(it's what the game boards are made of) then print on gloss photo paper and just glue on the chipboard using a glue stick extra strength kind.
11-26-2010, 07:40 AM
I have had an idea for a scenario set in the Widowcrest Asylum, and am in the middle of creating a new board. It is a 23x21 square board, which represents the hospital grounds. I used to work in an old Psychiatric Hospital and have based it on that. It contains the hospital a chapel a mortuary, and perhaps some other outbuildings.
The buildings are far larger than the ones in the game, and players will be able to search not just the buildings but individual rooms.
I have made some new rules as well, as the players will not only have to contend with roaming zombies, but also the Asylums inmates/patients.
11-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Church with a graveyard, Trailerpark, old closed house (with a baricaded door only to open if you roll a 6 or are in use of a weapon to do so.), playground are just some ideas that came up.
11-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Cymrusaint, will you post some pics when it's ready? Can't wait to see how it turns out!

And onemangang, there already is a church with a graveyard! Comes with LNoE!

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/rg__13/AnImAtEd%20GIF%20ImAgEs/thMrsVoorhees-Zombie.gif[/IMG]