Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dead Alive Scenario and Characters
03-22-2011, 08:39 AM
RE: Dead Alive Scenario and Characters
Les seems tremendously underpowered. His one advantage is that he can steal a combat die from a teammate -- when the teammate is likely going to be better in the fight. Is this intentional?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2011, 02:41 PM
We were talking about Les and in the movie does he kill a ton of zombies with a meat cleaver or an axe? in our 2nd game he got the cleaver and killed the rat monkey with a six.
03-22-2011, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2011 05:49 PM by Russ.)
Yeah...I don't know that I'm really happy with Les either. I had a hard time coming up with abilities for him. I sort of like his 'blackmail' ability, only because I thought it was fairly original. But even then, I don't know how useful it really is. The kicked in the balls thing is funny, I noticed he does take it in the junk at least 3 or 4 times in the movie...but how often do zombies roll doubles considering that normally they only roll a single Fight Dice.

It's true...Les does turn out to be a pretty hardcore zombie killing machine in the film. There is the scene of him hacking a crapload of them up with the meat cleaver, and also a few scenes of him exercising his sadistic nature by torturing the zombies, replacing one's head with a lawn gnome, forcing it through a laundry press, pulling one's teeth out with pliers, etc. I'm open to ideas about what to do with him.

I may decide to give the Rat Monkey some kind of buffer against instant kills. Like anything that would 'instantly kill' a zombie, merely wounds it. Seems anti-climactic to be able to just walk up to and and kill it. Although on the other hand, the two movement dice should make it fairly hard to just "walk up to it." Unless the zombie player has some unlucky rolls. Even with two dice, it's very possible to roll low numbers. Maybe I should just give it 6 movement points each turn?

I wanted to give the heroes something to do other than collect cards and/or go to a certain location. The intention was to have this little thing scampering all around, slightly easier to kill than a zombie, but hard to catch because not only does it move faster than the heroes, but leaves a trail of flesh eaters wherever it goes. Or if the zombie player is more reckless, he could attack the heroes head on with the rat monkey...and if he manages to spawn a bunch of zombies that turn, that hero is suddenly overwhelmed.

I dunno...I'm sure it could use tweaking, that's why I haven't submitted it to the download section yet. But I still think it's a cool idea, and there must be a way to make it all work!
03-22-2011, 09:24 PM
You've got a cool imagination man! I'd use these cards, thanks for doing them.
If you wanted the Rat Monkey harder to kill you could make it -1 to hit or something. (Revolvers need 5 etc.).
Just racking my brains about Les.
Maybe he can't exchange items with female characters due to his sexist behaviour.
Maybe his movement is -1 because of Asthma.
03-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Well, since he's a particularly sadistic zombie-killer, perhaps he could have a couple of powers that aren't useful -- such as the asthma or sexist behavior -- but then something pretty potent such as, "Sadistic: When fighting in a square with only a single zombie in it, he automatically wounds the zombie if one of his fight dice is a 6." Representing his ability to torture the zombie when give the opportunity? While I'm familiar with the movie, I've never actually sat down to watch it, so... I don't know if that fits or not.

As for the anti-instant-kill, perhaps it could something similar to the Zard Beast in IFOS, but make it due to quickness rather than stamina: "Quick: Ignores wounds on 4+." Thus, instant-kills probably won't instant-kill, but are still pretty potent, because it has a 50/50 shot of ignoring each of the wounds dealt to it.
03-23-2011, 04:24 PM
(03-22-2011 09:24 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  You've got a cool imagination man! I'd use these cards, thanks for doing them.
Yay! Thanks, I'm glad people seem to be excited!
(03-22-2011 09:24 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Maybe his[Les'] movement is -1 because of Asthma.
Ah...well I guess I could switch it to "Asthma." I labeled it "lung condition" because I was never clear what the heck was wrong with him. That little puffer thing he seems dependent on is never talked about. I wasn't sure if it was oxygen or what. It's pretty different looking than the usual inhaler most of us are used to seeing asthmatics use. Also, he doesn't use it the same way either. He just puts a few puffs into his wide open mouth. Doesn't seem like a very effective way to administer whatever it is. I actually googled it, and couldn't seem to find any info about it anywhere. If anyone knows what the heck is wrong with Les and what that thing is that he uses, please let me know!

Some interesting ideas are getting thrown around, I'm definitely thinking about some of them.
03-24-2011, 12:08 AM
rat monkeys rule
03-24-2011, 02:06 AM
Indeed, they do.
03-24-2011, 01:53 PM
(03-24-2011 02:06 AM)Russ Wrote:  Indeed, they do.

I bet Lovecraft's 'Brown Jenkin' looked like the Rat Monkey. Horrid Critter!
03-26-2011, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2011 08:33 PM by arveljoffi.)
Nicely done. I do agree with other about Les; he is underpowered and downright dangerous to Lionel. If he was jumping into the thick of things, and is sadistic, then perhaps, instead of Blackmail: Into the Fray--When wounded, automatically wounds the attacker the same amount. Even if he dies, he'd go out with a bang.

I would love to see a picture of the priest that better reflects angry ass kicking.

But otherwise, good job, man!