Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Death of Last Hero
04-11-2012, 12:40 PM
RE: Death of Last Hero
So blowing her up with a stick of dynamite thrown by another player should of made her a zombie hero?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Is it not game over when the last hero dies? Zombies win by killing 4 heroes (unless stated otherwise in the missionrules)

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2012, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2012 02:11 PM by j0hnnn.)
Alder dust...

think that most of the girl has blew up...

however the remains are still animated... think for instance that her torso and arms or just one arm resisted partially to the explosion...

Since most of the times the head is which animates the undead... she stills game. And wants brains now she is dead.
Since she killed herself you could simply give her to the zombie player with a wound taken. Could even the odds a little and still make a could reason for a sacrifice.

A good measure for the power of a weapon is how cool it looks...
04-11-2012, 02:50 PM
(04-11-2012 01:21 PM)Emp Wrote:  Is it not game over when the last hero dies? Zombies win by killing 4 heroes (unless stated otherwise in the missionrules)

Hi, it depends on the number of Hero Players. If there are 4 Hero Players, when someone loses their Hero. It their last Hero, so ahhh....yeah. Each one could lose a Hero before the game bell is rang.

.....Explosions make good fires. Slow roasted brains, or brains served as shusi. Its all good Insane22

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
07-27-2012, 09:48 PM
This is another one that I think is worth bumping back to the top. I kind of have to agree with the optional rule that a hero killed due to some kind of self-sacrifice (explosion, Father Joseph's ability, etc.) does not become a Zombie Hero.

I just personally like that better because I think it fits better thematically. After all, in zombie movies you typically become a zombie by being bitten by a zombie. If you die otherwise, you don't necessarily become one. I'm pretty sure there are some zombie movies where you do either way, but in most it tends to be that you have to be bitten.

So, that is my personal preference. I forget if it was here or BoardGameGeek, but I like the way one person put it. The rules state that if a person's last hero is killed or a hero is killed while the suntracker is in the black, they become a zombie hero. So, they took this literally to mean the zombie had to kill them. Otherwise, they just died.
07-28-2012, 09:47 PM
(04-11-2012 12:06 PM)Masterofmayhem Wrote:  I really like this variation to the rules. As was previously said, this suits the theme of the game perfectly and is a fun way to "end it". We will definitely be adding this to our house rules. Thanks for the idea.

I like variation and prefer to see the game flow with the theme, but personally I think introducing this custom rule reduces the horror feel. So I would voice strongly against using it if someone in my group suggested this.

First of all, I don't see that the original rule is less thematic. LNoE is a game of B movie zombie horror. Judgement Day has come to Woodinvale and the horrors have only just begun when the game starts. If someone dies and becomes a zombie (even if it's from falling off a horse or from getting hit by a freight train), it's B horror at its best. Also, don't forget that some scenarios even use the infamous Grave Dead (those sneaky animated corpses that suddenly pop up to terrorize the living), that are (as the name suggests) already dead.

Secondly, I can't see the purpose of introducing this rule. This is a horror boardgame set in a world where your supposedly worst nightmare has come true. And from a Hero player perspective, there's nothing worse than seing your once proud Diner Cook (with four health boxes) join the ranks of the undead horde. I can't help thinking that by reducing the possible outcomes where Heroes turn zombie, you actually reduce the horror feel.

Last but not least, this is going to make way for situations where a Hero can choose "the easy way out" and be rewarded. For example, instead of fighting the zombies in one's space when things start to look ugly, the Hero could choose to fire his shotgun at the gas can he just dropped in his space since this won't make him a zombie Hero whereas fighting the zeds wouldn't only mean death but also a new offspring of the zombie hero bloodline.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
07-29-2012, 02:05 PM
But this also raises the question of self-scrifice / suicide to avoid becoming a zombie - which is a feature of many zombie / apocolypse type films.

We already have the official option of "not enough left" for heroes to die rather than be killed, and who are not turned into Zombie Heroes.

It's important to remember that heroes who are killed / die normally do count towards the 4 required to win the game, whether they become Zombie Heroes or not.
07-30-2012, 05:56 PM
That is a tricky question. To sum up, I think you have to house-rule this one... Both Scarydk and Achtung Panzer have strong arguments and I'm presuming (j0hnnn has already posted and he didn't come up with a overlooked rule, hehehe) there's no official answer to that , so I would go for 'what does your gaming group thinks it's best for their fun', after all that's what the game is all about !!
07-30-2012, 09:22 PM
(07-29-2012 02:05 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  But this also raises the question of self-scrifice / suicide to avoid becoming a zombie - which is a feature of many zombie / apocolypse type films.

We already have the official option of "not enough left" for heroes to die rather than be killed, and who are not turned into Zombie Heroes.

It's important to remember that heroes who are killed / die normally do count towards the 4 required to win the game, whether they become Zombie Heroes or not.

Exactly. This is exactly how I feel on the situation. As Achtung says, many horror movies do feature this sort of theme, where a human/hero choose to kill himself/herself rather than to let the zombies turn him/her into one of them. Plus, again, as I mentioned, most zombie movies require the infection/virus to be spread to you somehow. You don't just automatically become a zombie when you die, you have to be bitten, or come into contact with their blood somehow. So, I tend to like this theme.

Again, to each his/her own. If you prefer that they become a zombie no matter how they die, then that is fine. Still, remember that no matter how a hero dies, the death still counts towards the zombie's win condition, so I don't see how it makes that big of a difference either way.
07-31-2012, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2012 08:33 AM by scarydk.)
Zombie Heroes do make a difference on the battlefield. In some circumstances you actually get to have more zeds on the board than you've got swimming in the pool. Also don't forget, these bastards are both faster and harder to kill (except when playing an instantly killed effect) so by limiting the options of "spawning" these sweethearts, you are changing the balance of the game just as any other limitation or rule changing does. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do this. You just need to be aware that it will be an easier game for the Heroes as well as the horror effect will be reduced.

EDIT:
Perhaps I should add that I usually play against an advanced group of hero players, that don't need any help nor any ease of mental pressure, that such a custom rule would permit.

I'm not a zombie movie buff, but I'm still not convinced that most zombie movies actually require transmission through bites.

To me it seems that in the modern genre the zombie condition is often referred to as a virus spread. I don't mean to nitpick (and I welcome every interpretation), but from an epidemiological perspective viruses that infect humans seldom require physical breaches to spread. Viruses may be transmitted in other ways:
- by contact with contaminated objects (yes, you can get infected from stuff in the Hero Deck. Especially, you need to avoid picking up stuff from the Discard Pile that has been used to fight zombies!
- by inhalation of virus-laden aerosols (be extra careful if there are zombies in your space or any adjacent space!)
- by vectors like mosquitoes and ticks (just wish for low water levels in Woodinvale County if you feel like blowing yourself up, as you could already be a carrier!)

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"