Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Death of Last Hero
07-31-2012, 08:19 AM
RE: Death of Last Hero
Yes, I agree about being careful about the balance of play when making any changes to rules but I think the official option of "Not enough left" sets a precedence.

If you apply this rule, there aren't many other occasions where a Hero would die without been bitten at least once - perhaps Father Joseph is the only case? So it may not be such a risk.

Personally I'll apply the Not enough left optional rule to avoid creating a ZH following death by explosion. But maybe that's the only exception.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Granted, I will give you that I've not seen every zombie movie in the world. However, I've seen plenty. In the vast majority I have seen, there is a distinct difference. If you get bit/come into contact with zombie blood/etc., you become a zombie. If you die by some other method (getting shot or otherwise attacked by another living human, explosion, etc.) you do not become a zombie.

When you also consider that there aren't too many situations in which this would come into play in the game anyway, I really don't think it is that much of sacrifice one way or the other.

Not to mention, true you can wind up sacrificing your character, but chances are you are going to try to avoid doing this regardless. Not only that, but if the situation does arrive where you must sacrifice a character, you are probably going to do so whether or not it will result in a zombie hero, as you'd probably have no choice otherwise.

I just can't imagine it being a situation too often where this would hinder the balance of the game at all. If you review the link that I believe somebody posted here, the Jason C. Hill himself (the creator of the game) agreed. He did say this wasn't mentioned in the rules, but did acknowledge that you could go either way on this one.

But, again, this is definitely one that could be left up to your particular group and their preferences. My personal preference just happens to be that I feel it fits better thematically to have a hero death that does not result from a zombie therefore not result in a zombie hero.
08-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Being a B horror fan, I can't help using scratch and claw to make sense of an otherwise senseless rule. Watchmen02

(07-31-2012 07:50 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  (...)
When you also consider that there aren't too many situations in which this would come into play in the game anyway, I really don't think it is that much of sacrifice one way or the other.
(...)
But, again, this is definitely one that could be left up to your particular group and their preferences. My personal preference just happens to be that I feel it fits better thematically to have a hero death that does not result from a zombie therefore not result in a zombie hero.

And of course you're right. And I agree, I see no reason to stick with a "lesser" rule if it doesn't make sense, as long as all players agree.

What matters is flow and feel of the game. Still, one less Zombie Hero in say 20 games, would be a tough one for me. That's one less minion to applaud me as I stride through the gates of hell carrying the heads of sweet innocent townsfolk on a pike.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2012, 07:34 PM
(08-01-2012 12:32 PM)scarydk Wrote:  Being a B horror fan, I can't help using scratch and claw to make sense of an otherwise senseless rule. Watchmen02

(07-31-2012 07:50 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  (...)
(...)

And of course you're right. And I agree, I see no reason to stick with a "lesser" rule if it doesn't make sense, as long as all players agree.

What matters is flow and feel of the game. Still, one less Zombie Hero in say 20 games, would be a tough one for me. That's one less minion to applaud me as I stride through the gates of hell carrying the heads of sweet innocent townsfolk on a pike.

LOL! Then might I recommend you pick up the "Revenge of the Dead" supplement if you have not already. That scenario is extremely fun, and also happens to include a stipulation that all heroes killed become a zombie hero. ;-) So, that is muchly fun for the zombie player(s).
09-12-2012, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 06:18 AM by scarydk.)
Well, I've shared my concern about not getting the zombie heroes I was entitled to under the influence of a rule suggested in this thread: no zombie heroes from acts of suicide (eg. explosions).

With the rule change in Timber Peak that states all scenarios should now have the "always zombie heroes" added, my opinion too has changed. Since the chances of having zombie heroes join your ranks now has risen, I'll now give in to the demand from the masses. I hereby announce that suicidal heroes are no longer accepted in my army of darkness. Watchmen02

On a further note, I think that the hero card "I'll See You In Hell!" (stock up) makes more sense in this context.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2012, 08:30 PM
(09-12-2012 06:16 AM)scarydk Wrote:  Well, I've shared my concern about not getting the zombie heroes I was entitled to under the influence of a rule suggested in this thread: no zombie heroes from acts of suicide (eg. explosions).

With the rule change in Timber Peak that states all scenarios should now have the "always zombie heroes" added, my opinion too has changed. Since the chances of having zombie heroes join your ranks now has risen, I'll now give in to the demand from the masses. I hereby announce that suicidal heroes are no longer accepted in my army of darkness. Watchmen02

I can definitely agree with you on that. With Timber Peak having the rules that Hero Replenish and Always Zombie Heroes are always in effect, I would definitely agree that heroes who die due to self sacrifice should (even more so) not become Zombie Heroes. Now, it isn't quite as rare to get yourself a Zombie Hero. ;-) So, not as much of a sacrifice to the Zombie Players.