Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Eliza and Militia
11-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Eliza and Militia
Eliza, the Witch Hunter, has a Zealot ability that allows her to take a wound to gain +2 in a skill check. Our gameplay issue was brought about by the fact that she can assign the wound to a Militia. Can Eliza assign the wound to a Militia that’s not on the same space as her?

The rules say “Militia markers give any Hero in the same space +1 Combat and can take one Wound for the Hero.” Grammatically, it kinda makes only the +1 Combat effect require being in the same space, although I don’t think that’s what was intended. Eliza’s ability, however, doesn’t mention that the Militia has to be in the same spot. Captain Hawkins has abilities that don’t require him to be in the same spot to use Militia.

Personally, think that she must be in the same spot as Militia, but I couldn’t get enough evidence to convince the others at the table. So, I throw the question to you, the AToE community.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2012, 06:30 PM
RE: Eliza and Militia
Going strictly by the wording of the ability, it would SEEM she could assign them to any Militia. I would tend to agree though that it SEEMS that the INTENT is to have it in the same space, but as you say, Captain Hawkins has abilities that utilize Militia from a distance. Although since they come from the same set, it seems this would have been a curious oversight.

I think the clarification would lie in the Militia rules. Militia can take a Wound for a Hero in the same space. Eliza is essentially inflicting the wound on herself. The special ability seems to merely be clarifying that the wound can also be assigned to Militia. Militia have to be in the same space to take a wound for a Hero. See where I'm going? Watchmen02

One other key piece of evidence is that Hawkins ability SPECIFIES "Militia on any space on the board". So in this case, it's not just what Eliza's ability SAYS but also what it DOESN'T say. Since it doesn't specify that she CAN use it on any Militia on the board normal Militia rules would apply in that they would have to be in the same space. The ability is merely clarifying that even though she is giving the wound to herself, that she can also assign it to Militia (as per normal rules).

All just my opinion of course, but I've posted my line of reasoning on how I've arrived at it.

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
11-04-2012, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 04:11 AM by MoonSylver.)
(11-03-2012 06:30 PM)MoonSylver Wrote:  Going strictly by the wording of the ability, it would SEEM she could assign them to any Militia. I would tend to agree though that it SEEMS that the INTENT is to have it in the same space, but as you say, Captain Hawkins has abilities that utilize Militia from a distance. Although since they come from the same set, it seems this would have been a curious oversight.

I think the clarification would lie in the Militia rules. Militia can take a Wound for a Hero in the same space. Eliza is essentially inflicting the wound on herself. The special ability seems to merely be clarifying that the wound can also be assigned to Militia. Militia have to be in the same space to take a wound for a Hero. See where I'm going? Watchmen02

One other key piece of evidence is that Hawkins ability SPECIFIES "Militia on any space on the board". So in this case, it's not just what Eliza's ability SAYS but also what it DOESN'T say. Since it doesn't specify that she CAN use it on any Militia on the board normal Militia rules would apply in that they would have to be in the same space. The ability is merely clarifying that even though she is giving the wound to herself, that she can also assign it to Militia (as per normal rules).

All just my opinion of course, but I've posted my line of reasoning on how I've arrived at it.

W00T! Confirmed over at BBG by Jason (whew! I feel much better having it official!)

Quote:That is correct. The Militia must be in the same space as Eliza to assign the wound to them.

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
11-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks MoonSylver!